PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: To engage youth in the Waiver program to help them identify and express their needs as well as to achieve their goals as defined by their Individualized Service Plan.
- Youth Advocate will also plan and organize events to empower, educate, and support youth in the Waiver program.
- Work as part of a team along with the Individualized Care Coordinator and other service providers to help youth attain her/his goals
- Share personal knowledge, insight, and experience about programs and resources that may be of support to youth and his/her family in increasing needed skills
- Mentor youth in developing positive peer and family relationships
- Assist in organization and implementation of social, recreational and educational programs and events for youth
- Provide outreach to youth involved in the program.
- Represent youth, program, and agency at City and Statewide gatherings around issues relevant to youth
- Complete all paperwork in a timely and professional manner in compliance with program regulations
- Observe all program and agency requirements as needed
- Must be a young adult who has had emotional and/or behavioral challenges as well as experience in receiving services from one or more children’s mental health providers or programs.
- Must have a good grasp of mental health diagnoses and an ability to explain the most common diagnoses and behaviors to youth.
- Car and NYS drivers license preferred.
- Must have High School Diploma or GED. Some College preferred. Bi-Lingual a plus
RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHERS
In addition, employees need to possess the following characteristics:
- Be team players.
- Have a strong sensitivity and respect for cultural differences present among staff and clients within our organization.
- Possess a strong belief in people’s ability to grow and change and to form a strong partnership with persons served and their family
: SKILL WORKER
: New York-Brooklyn-East New York
: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Minimum Education Required