20 North Upper Wacker Drive
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC’s Litigation Team seeks a Litigation Assistant to work in its Chicago, Illinois office. The Litigation Team is a group of approximately thirty attorneys and six Litigation Assistants who work out of and collaborate across several NRDC offices. The Team pursues litigation across a broad range of environmental, public health, and environmental justice issues. For example, the Team has brought lawsuits resisting the Trump Administration’s efforts to dismantle environmental protections, including cases defending National Monuments and challenging the suspension of the Clean Water Rule. In recent years, the Team has also brought cases to safeguard the people of Flint, Michigan from continued exposure to lead in drinking water; remediate toxic pollution in the Penobscot River; and abate mold in New York City public housing for residents with asthma. The Litigation Assistants provide administrative and litigation support for Litigation Team attorneys, and collaborate with the Litigation Assistants in the other offices that support branches of the Litigation Team.
- Processing invoices and expense reports, and maintaining detailed budget trackers
- Proofreading, formatting, copying, scanning, mailing, and faxing documents
- Assisting in hiring and orienting interns
- Scheduling meetings, booking travel, and organizing retreats
- Assisting other Litigation Team Assistants and office Program Assistants as needed
- Drafting and editing legal correspondence
- Preparing, proofreading, and fact-checking documents for court filings, and assisting with filing and service
- Researching and summarizing court rules
- Maintaining extensive case files (electronic, hard copy, and archived off-site)
- Conducting factual research to advance existing cases and to develop new cases
- Reviewing documents produced by other parties in litigation
- Interviewing NRDC members and drafting declarations related to pending litigation
- Bachelor’s degree required
- One year of previous administrative or paralegal experience (or equivalent) preferred
- Ability to perform or quickly learn tasks such as those listed above
- Ability to prioritize and efficiently execute multiple tasks, follow institutional procedures, and work independently with meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior editing, research, and data synthesis skills
- Commitment to accuracy and rigor
- Ability to maintain composure and sense of humor under deadline pressure
- Willingness and flexibility to work overtime
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and work discreetly with sensitive information
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Minimum two-year commitment strongly preferred
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload a cover letter, resume, undergraduate transcript, and writing sample. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes, or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This posting will be open until June 15, 2018. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so we encourage applicants to apply soon. Please indicate in your cover letter if you would also like to be considered for a Litigation Assistant position in NRDC’s Washington, DC office.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care at 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org.
Minimum Education Required