198 East 121st Street
The Center for Urban Community Services (CUCS) is a national leader in the development of effective housing and service initiatives. As a part of the city funded Manhattan Outreach Consortium (MOC) for the last ten years, CUCS has operated an outreach and housing placement program for people living on the streets of its assigned catchment area, 110th Street to the northern tip of Manhattan; and provided psychiatric and medical services (through its affiliate, Janian Medical Care), staff training, and IT support for all of the MOC programs. MOC is an innovative street outreach and housing placement program for people who are chronically homeless and living on the streets of Manhattan. In addition to CUCS, Breaking Ground operates a MOC outreach program in midtown Manhattan, and Goddard Riverside Community Center serves as the MOC’s lead agency and operates two outreach programs covering the remainder of Manhattan. Since the MOC began in September 2007, it has placed 1750 people into permanent housing, much of that do to CUCS’ very strong outreach, psychiatric, medical, training, and IT staff.
THIS POSITION IS LOCATED AT CUCS' EAST HARLEM MAIN OFFICE.
The Per Diem Outreach Workers will be responsible for responding to 311 calls from the community regarding homeless individuals, checking on clients in weather related emergencies, as well as generally engaging with clients sleeping on the street. They will utilize a harm reduction approach emphasizing meeting clients “where they are at” without judgment or coercion. The Per Diem Outreach Workers will work with a diverse range of clients including substance users, people with mental illnesses, and people involved with the criminal justice system. They will work within an interdisciplinary team focusing on moving people off the streets of Upper Manhattan into permanent housing and successfully reintegrating into their communities.
As a 24-hour site, staff must be flexible in working other shifts, in cases of emergency, to maintain an adequate staffing structure at all times.
• Must have valid driver’s license
• Must be able to work effectively as part of a team.
• Relevant experience working with the homeless population preferred.
• Computer literacy, especially in regards to Microsoft Excel, Outlook, and Word
• Educational requirements include a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years relevant experience, OR, HS Diploma and 4 years experience. For every 30 college credits earned, 1 year of experience may be reduced from the requirement for applicants with HS diplomas.
- Applicants will only be considered for positions they apply for.
- CUCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind
Level of Language Proficiency
• Applicants with Spanish language proficiency preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
TO APPLY PLEASE COPY AND PASTE THE URL BELOW TO YOUR BROWSER: