Director of Business Development
- Job posted by The American Network of Community Options and Resources
1101 King Street
The American Network of Community Options and Resources (ANCOR) is a nonprofit trade association whose vibrant membership includes more than 1,400 private providers of supports and services to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD). ANCOR advances strong federal policies, provides engaging educational opportunities and develops the next generation of leaders to strengthen a robust workforce of professionals dedicated to improving the lives of people with I/DD. Founded nearly 50 years ago, the association has experienced rapid growth in recent years.
As ANCOR continues to become more strategic in its efforts to secure non-dues revenue and gain business support in alignment with its mission, it is critical that the organization maintain a proactive and coordinated approach to business relationships and business integration.
The position plays a fundamental role in ensuring the continuity of business relationships and non-dues income for the association.
ANCOR seeks a Director of Business Development to galvanize the association’s business relationships to provide long-term financial sustainability for the association and value for members. This position is chiefly responsible for developing new sources of revenue and value for members and overseeing the association’s existing portfolio of earned income strategies, including corporate partnerships, event sponsorships and the Shared Resources Purchasing Network, one of ANCOR’s signature offerings. In addition to revenue, this position is responsible for leveraging business relationships to provide programming, knowledge, and access for ANCOR’s members.
The Director of Business Development reports to the Chief Executive Officer and is based at ANCOR’s Alexandria, Virginia, headquarters.
As the Director of Business Development, you’ll spend your days:
- Directing all (non-dues) business development activities on behalf of ANCOR, the ANCOR Foundation and the ANCOR Services Corporation.
- Serving as the primary relationship manager for ANCOR’s growing slate of corporate partners, sponsors and vendors, including the cultivation of new relationships and stewardship of existing relationships.
- Advising the Chief Executive Officer on business opportunities to deepen and diversify sources of revenue to support the core mission of the association and its members.
- Overseeing the execution of all activities of the Shared Resources Purchasing Network, a business development strategy that unlocks significant savings to ANCOR members.
- Leading the organization in the planning, implementation, assessment and refinement of a revitalized corporate partnership strategy which will involve being responsible for the annual corporate partner service cycle, including: conducting corporate partner needs assessments; defining benefits and developing relationship plans; executing the plan and delivering benefits; monitoring progress; and serving as point-of-contact at ANCOR’s conferences.
- Providing timely updates to ANCOR’s Board of Directors on key performance indicators related to the association’s business development activities.
- Ensuring that all business relationships are integrated with ANCOR’s transformational agenda, including positioning ANCOR as a leading voice within the industry of professionals providing supports and services to people with intellectual/developmental disabilities (I/DD).
- Carrying out other duties as assigned.
We’re excited to talk with you about this opportunity if:
- You fancy yourself a relationship-builder and pay close and constant attention to how you can seek and find the motivating factors to engage corporate supporters to advance your organization’s mission.
- You think like (or have experience as) an account executive in a marketing agency with the ability to treat business supporters like valued clients and the expertise to find the win-win-win for each corporate supporter, ANCOR, and ANCOR members.
- You’re entrepreneurial—a self-starter who knows an opportunity when you see it and aren’t afraid to take the bull by the horns.
- You thrive on collaborating with everyone on staff in your organization to add value for all of the organization’s business relationships.
- You aren’t phased by the idea of picking up the phone at the drop of a hat and calling anyone—from the CEO of a multimillion dollar corporation to the most junior associate at a small agency.
- You have experience managing a diverse set of strategies to build business relationships, including corporate partnerships, sponsorships, and more.
- This isn’t your first time at the rodeo. Ideally, you have several years of experience in business development – ideally also involving non-profit organizations – under your belt.
- The concept of contributing to the mission of a nonprofit—or, even better, a nonprofit association—isn’t foreign to you.
- You believe that people of all abilities deserve the chance to thrive in their communities, and that the workforce of providers who support people with disabilities deserves our investment.
While all of the above qualifications are “really nice to haves,” there are, of course, a few “must haves” in order for you to be considered for this position, including:
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in business, finance, nonprofit management or related fields. Bonus points if you have a graduate degree or certificate in one of these areas.
- The ability to join #TeamANCOR in Fall 2018, ideally on or before October 2 and no later than November 12.
- The ability to work in a traditional office setting during normal business hours, with the occasional evenings and weekends and occasional travel within the United States.
ANCOR is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities, people of color, immigrants, women and members of the LGBTQ community are especially encouraged to apply because we believe diverse perspectives enhance our work.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered for this opportunity, write an email with a few bullet points about why you’re excited about the position, attach your résumé, put “Director of Business Development” in the subject line and send it to Barbara Merrill, Chief Executive Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For best consideration, apply by August 31, 2018.