Founded in 1920, the Harvard Business School (HBS) Club of NY is the alumni organization for the 14,000 HBS alumni residing in the Greater NY area. It is a unique and powerful platform for alumni of HBS to use their leadership skills to make a meaningful difference. In addition, it provides lifelong learning and a great way for alumni to stay in touch with the HBS community.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a highly active and diverse volunteer-led organization in a collaborative leadership role that requires a strong communicator, organizer and problem solver. Reporting to the President, the Executive Director supports the Board of Directors and Management Committee. He or she co-manages a full-time staff of four, in conjunction with one or more members of the Management Committee. The alumni leadership and volunteers are much more engaged in running the Club than is typical in most non-profits.
The Responsibilities are:
- Administrative, Operations and Finance:
- Oversee all administrative and operational processes of the Club, including human resources, finances, staff management, technology, implementation of strategy, metrics reporting, etc.
- Coordinate cross-division efforts with the staff, set priorities and help manage work load; problem solve
- Provide strategic thought for program quality, volunteer succession, talent management, technology enhancements and operating standards.
- Coordinate budget management with the Club CFO; fiduciary oversight
- Participate in hands-on, day-to-day activities including calendar management database usage, website updates, etc. Actively use software and other technical tools to enable efficient and effective operations of the innovative, leading-edge Club.
- Board and Volunteer Leadership Support
- Liaise with Board and Management Committee officers
- Organize attend, and take minutes at monthly Management Committee meetings
- Work closely with the President, Board Chair and Officers to prepare for and attend quarterly Board meetings
- Initiative Coordination and Management
- Collaborate, support, and follow up with officers on institutional initiatives, programs and activities, ensuring projects are on track and any issues are resolved; includes project management
- Coordinate with vendors to ensure clear communication, deadlines, and deliverables
- External Relations
- Support all aspects of the Club's external relations (membership, brand/marketing, PR and communications)
- Develop and cultivate relationships with volunteer leaders and Harvard network institutions
- Attend Club events, acting as Club representative when appropriate
- Relevant leadership roles in matrixed businesses, associations or nonprofits
- Proven record of planning, execution and team management
- Experience with budgeting and forecasting
- Demonstrated effectiveness in marketing/communication, project management, and staff management
- Strong technology background
- Minimum of six years of experience with 10+ preferred
- Self-driven, self-sufficient, entrepreneurial, and proactive
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills, sound judgment
- Ability to understand the big picture and set priorities while simultaneously being detail oriented and managing budget/deadlines
- Strong public speaking/presentation skills combined with proven ability for written communications with executives
- Demonstrated ability to engage and manage multiple constituencies (Officers, Board, Sponsors, partners, etc) while also effectively supervising and motivating the staff
- Technical proficiency in Office Suite (Excel, Work and PowerPoint) and familiarity with CRMs. Proficiency in other database/web design/digital platforms would be a plus.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required