Panthera, founded in 2006, is devoted exclusively to the conservation of wild cats and their
ecosystems. Utilizing the expertise of the world’s premier cat biologists, Panthera develops and
implements global conservation strategies for the most imperiled large cats – tigers, lions,
jaguars, snow leopards, cheetahs, pumas and leopards. Representing the most comprehensive
effort of its kind, Panthera works in partnership with local and international NGOs, scientific
institutions, local communities and governments around the globe. For more on Panthera,
The Accountant works closely with the Controller, Senior Accountant and Budget Coordinator to
manage day-to-day financial transactional flows, account analysis, schedule preparation and
maintenance of files and documents. He/she ensures that financial department administrative
tasks are well-managed and smooth.
Principal responsibilities and duties
- Process bank deposits, including deposit of funds in the bank.
- Bank Reconciliations
- Reconcile various bank accounts to general ledger on a monthly basis.
- Verify and validate that all incoming checks logged by Development Information
- Manager match the bank deposit by finance (Salesforce to NetSuite review)
- Enter all bank deposits and clearing checks in the accounting system based on the bank activity;
- Prepare monthly proof of cash bank reconciliations
- Monitor and resolve bank issues including fee anomalies and check differences.
- Monthly reconciliation of all fixed assets and depreciation schedules.
- Accounts Payable and Other Payables:
- Record all wire, and check requests into accounting system after approval from controller.
- Prepare and send 1099 MISC and NEC forms annually.
• Prepaid/Other Accounts:
- Download and enter all Company credit card statement expenses into the accounting system’s suspense accounts.
- Send credit card summary reports to employees on monthly basis.
- Reconcile Company credit card statements to employee credit card expense reports and obtain any supporting documentation needed for the expenses
- Process all employee expense and advance report.
- Preparation and filing of annual state charity registration/filing reports
• Receivables and Revenues:
- Track and monitor receivables for signed contract agreements.
- Coordinate with Panthera’s business development department to ensure that unrestricted and restricted donations recorded correctly.
- Gatekeeper of managing contract code process with program managers including issuing and creating contract codes, and logging activity against those codes on a daily basis
- Record releases to income from restricted funds monthly.
- Record marketable securities incoming donations.
- Record donations from online platforms.
- Record monthly GIK revenues.
- Monthly and Year End Tasks (as applicable):
- Assist in the preparation of financial statement schedules.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts to detail.
- File and record retention
- Assist with year end audits
Qualifications and experience required
- Bachelor's degree in accounting
- Not-for-profit accounting experience preferred but not required
- CPA or CPA candidate preferred but not required
- Experience with Oracle NetSuite accounting software preferred but not required
- Minimum of 3 to 4 years’ total experience
- Ability to multi-task in an open setting while juggling competing demands and maintaining pleasant demeanor
- Ability to work cross-culturally
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills (pivot tables, lookup formulas, etc.)
- Record-keeping and organizing and coordinating skills
- Ability to document, interpret, and implement policies and procedures
- Identify areas for process improvement