1319 F Street, NW
About First Book: First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 175 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches 375,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also has distributed books to children in more than 30 countries.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About This Position: The Development Coordinator is an essential part of the First Book team, providing critical support for the Development department which raises funds from and with individuals, foundations, and community volunteers in support of the organization’s goals and mission. A “systems samurai” for the department, the position demands the highest attention to detail, a desire to continually improve systems and processes, and a passion for internal and external customer service.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage/oversee donor database in Salesforce including the entry of all donation information into database (manual and automated), list management, the development of standard protocols and systems management, and regular reporting for the Development function at First Book.
- Work proactively with the Finance department to ensure accuracy in donation records.
- Generate and customize, as necessary, donor acknowledgement letters – including working with other departments to ensure timeliness of communications to donors.
- Identify, research, and profile major donor and foundation grant prospects.
- Assist with donor relations, donor communications and campaigns, and grant applications and reports.
- Contribute to team brainstorms, strategic and operational planning exercises.
- Various administrative duties and other tasks as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience with Salesforce required; Salesforce Admin Certification or equivalent experience is a plus.
- Experience with Classy or comparable peer to peer fundraising system, Pardot or comparable email and list management system, and/or Confluence and Jira for knowledge and case management a plus.
- Fundraising experience preferred; customer service experience a plus.
- High degree of proficiency in MS Office including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Desire to collaborate to build a robust development program.
Those who thrive at First Book tend to possess these qualities:
- An entrepreneurial spirit, this is core to First Book’s DNA. Must be a tenacious self-starter with intellectual curiosity.
- A passion for First Book’s mission and vision for the future.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Highly detail-oriented, loves problem-solving and working with systems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; strong and patient presence on the phone.
- Must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and multi-task with ease.
To Apply: Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter to www.firstbook.org/careers. No phone calls please.
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
- Vacation leave
- Sick leave
- Eleven Annual Holidays
- 401 K and employer matching pension contribution
- Transportation benefits
Minimum Education Required