Details: Salary commensurate with experience/budgeting.
104 St. Mark's Place
George Jackson Academy (GJA) is the only school of its kind in New York City: an independent, nonsectarian upper elementary and middle school for academically capable boys from lower-income and underserved families. The school was created to engage boys from 4th to 8th grade, a time when young men are particularly vulnerable to disengaging from school. Currently, GJA serves more than 135 young men of color to succeed academically, socially, and emotionally.
Basic duties of the job include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching 7th grade Language Arts for the rest of the 2018-2019 school year.
- Structuring and leading homeroom sessions with students.
- Using a variety of instructional strategies to meet student needs.
- Using the Jupiter grading system to maintain accurate grades to inform/track student progress.
- Communicating with parents regarding student academic and behavioral progress.
- Collaborates with colleagues for lesson ideas, curriculum planning, and general communication and support.
- Contributing proactively to a positive school culture.
- Engaging in professional development as suggested by the school administration.
- Exuding professionalism and adhering to all George Jackson Academy rules, regulations and expectations.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Education or equivalent preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Experience teaching language arts necessary.
- Fourteen classes per week 8:30am-11:00am daily.
There are no benefits associated with this position.
Minimum Education Required