Details: We provide a salary range to make your application process easier.
The Center for Election Science is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that empowers voters through smarter voting methods. We work to fundamentally change the way people vote. Smarter voting methods means better representatives who make better policy and spending decisions. We are a high-impact organization seeking talented employees to advance progress on a challenging mission. Our expertise has been featured in the Washington Examiner, MSNBC, and Popular Mechanics.
As a cross-operations manager and essential member of the executive leadership team, this position takes on administrative and program-oriented roles. The DOP reports to and works in concert with the Executive Director. The DOP will also provide strategic leadership and direction in the development and implementation of strategies for short and long-term goals in operations and programs. The person in this position must be comfortable working entirely remotely. The role is dynamic but primary responsibilities are as follows:
- Lead effective attainment of qualified contractors for outsourced work.
- Work with Executive Director to plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budgeting and planning process.
- Oversee finance record keeping, including coding through Quickbooks (basic ability is sufficient, and you will have help learning if needed).
- Maintain payroll (note that we use a redundant system for checks and balances as a matter of policy).
- Maintain organizational paperwork, record keeping, general operations, and compliance.
- Attend all organizational meetings
- Work with Director of Philanthropy to assure coordination in messaging and outreach.
- Provide logistics support as needed.
- Facilitate operations on organizational programs which include supporting grassroots efforts and educational campaigns alongside ballot initiatives.
- Identify and utilize contractors as necessary.
- Coordinate website development plan and implementation.
- Develop and implement outreach planning.
- Identify and leverage press opportunities.
- Design and implement programs with ED that further the organization’s mission.
- Social media (Ex// Facebook, Twitter)
- Monthly Newsletters (Mailchimp)
- Press Release Distribution
- Technical knowledge related to voting methods is preferred.
- Must feel comfortable working with Google Docs, Skype, Google Hangouts, and other online platforms.
- Comfortable with Wordpress.
- Must be committed to organization’s goal of advancing smarter voting methods, particularly cardinal methods such as approval voting.
- Ability to solve problems, prioritize, and minimize multi-tasking.
- Having fundamental mathematical, statistics/probability, and science competency is a plus.
- Must be able to coordinate complex projects and prioritize a dynamic series of tasks.
- E-mail, verbal, and writing skills.
- While a degree is not required, it may be helpful, particularly advanced graduate degrees.
- Some travel: ~2-4 times/year
- Occasional weekend availability may be necessary but is not common
- Growth potential if organization continues to be successful (our strategic plan scales up easily)
- Opportunity to interact with leaders in the field of political science and game theory
- Up to $4,950 reimbursement for health, vision, and dental insurance
- SIMPLE IRA with 3% matching after 6 months
- starting 28 days PTO/year, increasing in subsequent years*
- group term life insurance*
- annual continuing education allotment*
- partial reimbursement of phone and high-speed internet
- home office reimbursement
- flexible hours
- work remotely
(*after 3-month introductory period)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How You Can Be A Competitive Applicant
- Be familiar with our work. Read up on our blog, look through our articles, and see what we’re up to through social media.
- Love what we do. What we do requires a lot of effort. Passion will make that effort easier to sustain.
- Be able to provide evidence that you’re an overachiever. This position is broad and requires someone who is capable of handling versatile and complex projects. This demands intelligence, interpersonal skills, organization, and the desire to overdeliver. You can show this by evidencing prior work and through high performance in the work product section of the application process.
- Be open, honest, and follow directions
What You Can Expect In the Application Process
- Update: We have moved to a rolling application process for this position. When filled, this listing will be removed.
- We attempt to blind ourselves to your name as long as possible so to avoid bias on sex and ethnicity. Please use only your three-letter initials in attachments.
- We will actually tell you whether you advance in the process. If you don’t, we’ll notify you either way as a courtesy. As you can imagine, we do not have the capacity to provide each applicant a rationale for our decision.
- Our process has multiple phases: (1) resume & cover letter, (2) evidence-based questions and work product, (3) interview, and (4) accuracy confirmation. If you do not feel comfortable with performing the labor of a related work sample, then please do not apply.
- Please do not mislead us on your application. If you do, then we will remove your application from current and future consideration.
We care about our employees. You can tell from our benefits that this translates across the board. Our premise here is that if you are a happy employee, then you will be more enthusiastic about your work and inclined to stay. We believe that CES is a place that you can be truly proud and happy to work for.
How To Apply
Send your tailored cv/resume and cover letter in a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter must at minimum address (1) why you want to work for us, (2) why you are qualified, and (3) what you have done that evidences how you’re qualified. Please limit your cover letter to no more than two pages and your cv/resume to be as compact as possible.
For your single attachment, do not include any personally identifying information other than your three-letter initials (two if no middle name). Your PDF attachment should be named: “DOP_Application_Ph1_XYZ” where “XYZ” are your initials. E-mail subject: “DOP Application Ph1”. If you make a mistake here, your application may not be reviewed. Position open until filled.