Details: $75,000.00 - 90,000.00 Salary Exempt
550 Kearny St.
An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse Workforce
Reports to: Chief Marketing Officer
Classification: Union Professional
Closing Date: Open until filled
The United Way Bay Area (UWBA) is leading a network of corporations, government agencies, nonprofits, and individuals to create lasting change for Bay Area residents and families. With a history that spans over 90 years and programs that tackle the issue of local poverty from every angle, UWBA is uniquely positioned to mobilize and motivate all sectors of the community toward the vision of ending the cycle of poverty.
As UWBA responds to cultural shifts in the workplace, fundraising, and digital communications, it is guided by core values of innovation and results-driven creativity. Through a variety of existing and emerging initiatives, UWBA seeks to both strengthen and reimagine its work at all levels in order provide more and better opportunities for struggling Bay Area residents.
For more information about UWBA, please visit http://uwba.org.
The Senior Director of Community Engagement is responsible for innovating, leading and managing United Way Bay Area’s volunteer and events programs. These programs will align with the organization’s strategic vision to activate and empower individuals to join our fight in ending the cycle of poverty. Building relationships with both corporate and community volunteers, the senior director will ensure an efficient and effective volunteer base of support for the organization and provide strategic oversight for both program and fundraising events. The senior director will also interact with all functional areas of the organization and be accountable for developing strategies, operational plans, metrics and innovative initiatives to move our work forward in a substantial way. The senior director is responsible for managing a volunteer coordinator, an events manager and will be a leader within the broader marketing team and senior manager team.
What you’ll do:
- Develop a plan that advances UWBA’s strategies to increase engagement and deepen relationships with individuals, new target audiences, and affiliated organizations. Leverage volunteerism to bring new supporters to our organization and to improve our relevancy with current supporters.
- Lead and manage collaborative volunteer partnerships (traditional and nontraditional, internal and external) by identifying, creating and promoting volunteer engagement activities that aligns with UWBA’s mission of fighting poverty.
- Recruit and connect volunteers to engagement opportunities that match their passion and interests. Work closely with Community Impact and other departments to ensure maximum volunteer utilization; creating and inspiring innovative volunteer roles as appropriate.
- Manage volunteers through the Salesforce database, and look to consistently evaluate, improve and optimize the volunteer program using data and qualitative feedback from individual participants.
- Using an event marketing lens, ensure volunteers have a positive brand experience with UWBA and utilize relationship building efforts to maximize brand loyalty and retention.
- Establish an annual plan across the organization to identify ways to orient, recruit and recognize volunteers.
- Working with the volunteer coordinator, oversee the planning and implementation of multiple volunteer events with partners and affinity groups.
- Provide strategic oversight to UWBA’s event programs that leverage both program-specific and fundraising/cultivation events.
- As part of the broader marketing department, leverage and maximize UWBA brand awareness and communications to increase participation and event attendance.
- Work with the events manager to provide a structured brand experience with timely, consistent and effective follow-up.
- Oversee and manage event budgets, working closely with the finance team to ensure proper documentation, reporting, contracts, and legal requirements are in place for all event activities.
- Oversee both internal and external event volunteers.
- Responsible for day-to-day supervision of the volunteer coordinator and events manager.
- Oversee the management of external vendors, consultants, interns, and volunteers assigned to the department.
Who you are:
- Proficiency and direct experience with volunteer program, relationship management, and events production.
- Proven ability to supervise volunteer and paid staff.
- Ability to analyze and exercise sound judgment, balancing a variety of perspectives to affect a positive outcome.
- Demonstrated skills in building smart strategies as well as analyzing data and trends around mobilization and engagement.
- Must be able to set and achieve forward looking goals and objectives.
- Strong interpersonal, written communications and public speaking skills.
- Ability to work cross-functionality and foster productive business relationships. Training and facilitation skills desirable.
- Community experience in the Bay Area a plus. Must be innovative, flexible and able to work independently.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office with a willingness/aptitude for learning new software programs. Salesforce experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or a complementary field preferred. Demonstrated commitment to community improvement.
- Minimum of 4-5 years’ management experience preferred.
- Experience in community organizing, event production and management.
- Successful experience working with leadership volunteers and senior staff.
- Personal volunteer experience required.
Salary: $75,000.00 - 90,000.00 Salary Exempt
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
UWBA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender (including actual or perceived gender, and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, religious affiliation, veteran status, national origin, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, federal or local law. UWBA will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in the manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for a job, please let us know. If the reason you need an accommodation is not obvious, we may ask for documentation confirming your functional limitations.
Please include salary requirements in cover letter.
Login at www.uwba.org/careers and submit your resume along with cover letter
Minimum Education Required