Idealist Careers, a publication of Idealist.org, is seeking freelance writers with experience writing about professional development, the job search, and on-the-job advice (as it relates to the nonprofit and social-impact space). Writers will pitch and create original content that speaks to our target audience of social-impact professionals and will be a part of our Contributing Writers Program managed by our Senior Editor.
Writers will be paid $50 for each post that is approved for publication. This is a remote position.
- Writers will be expected to submit two original posts each month, generated from original pitches and/or topics assigned by the Idealist Careers editor.
- Respond to comments and edits from the editor in an agreed-upon timeframe.
- Timely submission of pitches, drafts, and invoices.
- Respond to reader comments posted on Idealist Careers.
- Note: While not all pitches and posts will need to be written on diversity, equity, and inclusion, we are looking for writers with specialized experience in this area.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Grammar is kind of your thing.
- Ability to write in an informal and yet knowledgeable tone. We want to make sure that you come across as an expert on your topic, but it’s important that submissions are formatted and worded in such a way that makes them highly accessible to all of our readers.
- Ability to review your work with an eye for brevity.
- Deadline oriented and highly responsive.
- Love feedback and strive to align your own voice as a contributing writer with the Idealist Careers brand.
- Ability to independently take posts from ideation to completion.
- Fact checker, because you love facts.
- Past experience working in and/or writing for the social-impact space.
- Experience writing interview-based articles.
Please visit Idealist.org/en/careers to explore a variety of our recently-published content to get a better sense of our style, voice, and subject matter.