This position provides administrative, analytical and database support for employee benefit plans, that include health and life insurance, pension, 401(k), short and long term disability and dependent care benefit plan operations. Responsibilities include data collection and records maintenance for AFSCME’s employee benefit plans covering AFSCME employees and AFSCME affiliate staff. Incumbent will assist in the reconciliation and coordination of HR and Benefits data and administrative functions. This position includes responsibility for maintaining contact with benefit providers, plan participants (including staff and retirees) and affiliates as needed.
- Create, update and verify benefit and HR related data and records including staff, participant and affiliate contact lists necessary for overall administration of benefits plans.
- Review and verify employer and employee participation records and census data for accuracy and compliance with employee benefit plan provisions.
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of notifications required to ensure compliance with benefit plans provisions and applicable laws.
- Collect data necessary to perform required compliance testing and annual audit for qualified benefit plans.
- Perform some accounting functions related to processing payments for all plan expenses.
- Process monthly short-term and long-term disability payments.
- Resolve discrepancies through participating employer staff.
- May process monthly short-term and long-term disability payments.
- Assist with processing Dependent Care Plan enrollments and reimbursements.
- Process Salary Savings Plan enrollments, contributions and loan payments.
- Coordinate with AFSCME Payroll Department and affiliate representatives to identify salary savings plan participants who have initiated loans and loan status changes.
- Prepare and upload monthly transmittal file for 401(k)plan.
- Monitor and ensure receipt and accuracy of receivables for 401(k) contributions and loans and will follow up with delinquent employer as needed.
- Update and maintain benefit plan descriptions and forms on employee intranet on an on-going basis.
- Assist in resolving confidential employee benefits questions or issues by reviewing benefit plan policies and procedures to convey accurate information.
May be required to perform other related benefits and human resources duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with course work in human resources management or benefits. A Certified Employee Benefits Specialist certificate is desirable.
- A minimum of three (3) years relevant experience in benefits administration, human resources, or accounting, with an emphasis in employee benefits or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Familiarity with defined benefit, defined contribution, health insurance and other employee benefit plans.
- Ability use spreadsheets and other software, including Excel, automated accounting and HRIS systems for reporting.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently.
- Ability to handle confidential employee information and confidential matters with employees.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to apply policies, procedures and standards, conduct research and make logical conclusions.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks under tight timelines.
Travel and Work Hours:
- Travel and extended work hours may be required.