Details: Commensurate with experience and in-line with market rates in Antigua Guatemala
7a. Avenida Norte No. 65
Faith In Practice is seeking an individual with a heart for faith-based mission and service, and a specific interest in those with mobility challenges and physical disability, to assist in the execution of the growing Wheelchair and Mobility Program.
The Wheelchair Program Assistant will assist in the Wheelchair Clinic during week-long village medical clinic missions in rural Guatemala and week-long surgical missions at Hospital Hilario Galindo in Retalhuleu and Obras Sociales in Antigua Guatemala, as well as some one-off wheelchair teams that are not part of a surgery or village team. During non-mission weeks, the Wheelchair Program Assistant will assist with logistics and inventory processes, statistics collection and partnership development.
The position requires technology and computer skills, excellent oral and written communication skills in Spanish and English, high-level attention to detail and good organizational skills. The ideal candidate would be a self-starter and team player with excellent bicultural skills who works well with a wide range of individuals--from Guatemalan patients and health promoters to US volunteers and staff. The individual must thrive in a fast-paced environment, be solution-driven and be able to multi-task.
This is a seasonal position, commencing September 2018 and concluding June 2019. The hours of this position will vary, depending on the needs of the wheelchair team in Guatemala at the time; flexibility is essential. For the 2019 season, 16 wheelchair teams are scheduled (more may occur as the program grows), during which the Wheelchair Program Assistant can expect weekend and evening work, long days, and travel to rural villages in Guatemala. Non-mission week’s normal work hours are 8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday through Friday, in Faith In Practice’s offices in Antigua.
· Assist with upcoming Wheelchair Clinics during 7 Village Medical teams and 9 Surgery Missions. Aid the volunteer wheelchair teams in terms of training, troubleshooting and helping to ensure a positive experience.
· Assist the Senior Coordinator to ensure that sufficient wheelchairs, other mobility aids, wheelchair fitting aids and basic support tools and administrative supplies are available for each wheelchair clinic. Ensure an accurate inventory of wheelchairs and spare parts following each mission.
· Assist in the wheelchair clinics to ensure that each wheelchair patient receives quality care and education, including a basic clinic visit, PT consult, and education session, in addition to a wheelchair or other aid and/or medicine.
· Collect statistics for the Wheelchair Program and add all wheelchair patients to the database. Contribute to providing recommendations that will help enhance the program and measure impact.
· Support other programs as needed.
Level of Language Proficiency
Highly advances Spanish and English language skills.
Minimum Education Required