College Directions Program Counselor (CDP Counselor)
- Job posted by Kingsbridge Heights Community Center
3101 Kingsbridge Terrace
Reports to: College Directions Assistant Director
Hours: 35 hours per week
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide individualized retention services, including outreach, case management, and counseling for CDP alumni to help troubleshoot issues that may prevent students from continuing successfully in their post-secondary environments.
- Maintain collaborative relationships with community agencies, colleges, and support programs/functions on college campuses in order to effectively advocate for CDP alum as they navigate their transition into college.
- Forge relationships with current year seniors in order to set goals for successful transition to, and completion of, their first year in college.
- Support specialty partnerships with staff at ELLIS High School, Bronx Theatre High School, and College Access Research and Action (CARA) as needed/assigned by Coordinator.
- Provide task supervision for the KHCC-CARA Youth Leaders as needed.
- Research, plan and implement CDP bridge activities such as workshops and events (primarily during the summer months and school breaks) for program alum, both in-house and outside the center at linked agencies/schools.
- Stay informed about changes and developments in the college access and retention community, including the statewide CUNY/SUNY system, financial aid/ scholarships, and special programs for low-income students (e.g. EOP, HEOP, etc.); attend CACNY meetings and sub-committees.
- Coordinate the creation of mentoring relationships between current year seniors and CDP alumni who attend the schools that seniors will be attending.
- Oversee consistent and detailed tracking of CDP alumni using the College Student Clearinghouse, and other in-house data collection tools as needed.
- Attend agency wide and outside meetings and trainings as needed.
- Knowledge of the College Board SAT exam and experience providing SAT tutoring.
- Experience with Google Docs, Microsoft Excel and basic knowledge of data analysis and creating charts.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Bilingual Spanish encouraged to apply
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with teens in a group setting
- Strong specialty knowledge of the college advisement and retention process
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- 1-9 daily work schedule; Flexibility with earlier or later hours for outside meetings/training
- Current NYS Driver’s license and ability/willingness to drive 15 passenger van
Interested in jobs at KHCC? View our job openings here!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resumes to Marlene Delgado: email@example.com or Derwin Greene: firstname.lastname@example.org