About KIPP Bay Area Public Schools
KIPP is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools across the country educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice-filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, and for us all.
There are currently 15 KIPP schools across the Bay Area educating nearly 6,000 students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City and supporting over 3,000 alumni around the country.
The Manager, Regional Operations, will become KIPP Bay Area’s regional leader in school safety, emergency preparedness, and risk management. Reporting to the Director, Regional Operations, they will partner directly with schools and regional departments to build and implement a regional strategy for school safety, and ensure the operational policies, procedures, and systems are in place to effectively provide safe, structured learning environments for our KIPPsters. The ideal candidate for this critical role thrives on solving problems, navigating ambiguity, developing systems and finding ways to work smarter - not just harder. The Manager is someone with a strong track record of successfully launching and managing complex projects, leading outcomes-based planning with cross-functional teams, and building transformative relationships with diverse group stakeholders in a mission-driven organization.
This position is based out of our Regional Support Office (RSO) in downtown Oakland (BART accessible) with frequent travel to our schools and local communities throughout the Bay Area. This full-time exempt position is available immediately.
Roles and Responsibilities
Develop and implement comprehensive, aligned regional safety strategy and plan
- Define and shape KIPP’s overall vision for school safety and emergency preparedness.
- Ensure all schools have an annual emergency and other safety plans that are current and compliant with applicable regulations and include policies and procedures to ensure a safe and orderly campus, specialized instructional programs that promote equity, tolerance, safety, health and wellbeing, and a stand-alone emergency crisis response plan.
- Evaluate the scalability of existing safety systems and find ways to address areas of inefficiency or ineffectiveness
- Develop and implement a business continuity plan for the region
Manage KIPP’s risk management policies and practices, including contracts and vendor management
- Partner across RSO departments, including HR and Real Estate, to develop a regional strategy to mitigate or manage KIPP’s greatest exposures to risk
- Draft and implement policies and procedures that minimize risk in key areas (ex. vendor management, field trips, volunteers), while ensuring a continuity of service for our schools and region
- Manage property and casualty insurance policies and work with a broker to ensure our schools and regional office are adequately insured; address insurance claims and requests as needed
- Lead development and implementation of regional procurement strategy; identify areas for centralization, cost savings, and risk mitigation; and manage contracts with key regional vendors
Develop school operations talent, with focus on safety, risk and emergency preparedness
- Train and support school and regional staff members on various safety and risk management areas (e.g. volunteer clearances, emergency planning, safety policies, and procedures)
- Support overall recruitment, training, and professional development for school operations leaders, including helping lead, organize and contribute content to our monthly school operations Community of Practice meetings
- Serve as a thought partner and coach to 3-4 school operations leaders via regular check-ins, coaching conversations, and school visits
Support department planning, strategy, and culture-building
- Promote and contribute to a diverse, equitable and inclusive team culture
- Actively leads and contributes to the overall work of the Regional Operations team.
- Assist with special projects as needed
Skills and Qualifications
- A deep belief that all students can achieve at the highest levels, a passion for social justice and equity for all, and a demonstrated commitment to improving K‐12 public education
- Integrity and commitment to KIPP Bay Area Public Schools’ mission and values
- Strong organizational skills, a keen attention to detail, and demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, set and meet deadlines and adapt to changing priorities
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills, including experience interpreting data to inform decisions and drive results
- Track record of collaboration and teamwork, and a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) and build relationships with multiple stakeholders and across lines of difference
- Experience with change management and a demonstrated ability to manage up, down and across to drive action - even in the absence of formal authority
- Comfort with ambiguity and driving results in a fast‐paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Valid driver’s license, as travel between school sites across the Bay Area will be required
- 3+ years of work experience in operations, school safety or project management strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred, but not required
Salary and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package, depending on experience and qualifications.
Minimum Education Required