Details: Salary is competitive and commensurate to experience.
Los Angeles Koreatown
NILC has an immediate opening for a Staff Attorney to join its legal department. An experienced litigator, the Staff Attorney will work on precedent-setting cases to advance the rights of low-income immigrants and their families. This position offers a unique opportunity to engage in impact litigation on key issues across the country impacting low-income immigrants and to work in a legal department with a creative and deeply client-centered focus and a team-based approach to the work. The position is based, ideally, in either NILC’s Los Angeles, Calif., or Washington, DC, office, with location flexibility for the right candidate. The Staff Attorney reports to the Supervising Attorney.
- Identify, develop, and lead litigation in federal and state courts. Prepare pleadings, motions, and briefs; conduct discovery; present oral arguments and handle appeals.
- Strategically, creatively, and boldly use plaintiff-driven, community-grounded impact litigation in combination and partnership with NILC’s other core strategies of policy advocacy and communications to advance NILC’s vision and mission.
- Collaborate with staff across the organization, including the projects within the Communications & Advocacy teams.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the organization, using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regard to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, and record of arrest or conviction.
- Commitment to working collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
- Provide support to other staff on issues of subject-matter expertise.
- Represent NILC with coalition partners.
- Supervise law student interns and legal fellows, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervising Attorney and Legal Director.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Juris Doctor degree required.
- Must be an active member in good standing of the bar association of the state in which the Staff Attorney will be based.
- A minimum of 4-6 years of litigation experience, preferably in federal court. Responsibilities will be commensurate to experience and demonstrated skill level.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, public interest law, and NILC’s mission.
- Demonstrated experience in the investigation and development of impact litigation. Expertise in immigrants’ rights or other public interest impact litigation is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with U.S. Supreme Court and appellate practice and constitutional law.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Demonstrated ability to perform complex legal analytical work.
- Experience working with external co-counsel or in a coalition setting comprised of multiple organizational partners, and demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts constructively.
- Self-motivated, diligent, and able to meet strict deadlines while under pressure.
- Willingness to travel.
- Strong commitment to team-building and to fostering a positive organizational culture.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent litigation strategy skills.
- Displays sound judgment in decision-making.
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively, with a collaborative approach to case work.
- Excellent research, writing, and verbal communication skills.
- Strong critical thinking, interpersonal, and public-speaking skills.
- Able to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Possesses a deep understanding of the intersectional issues pertaining to immigrant rights.
NILC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants, regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and have a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.
Minimum Education Required