One Fair Wage is an organization seeking to raise wages, enhance working conditions in the service sector and end all subminimum wages in the United States.
With the Great Resignation, millions of workers are refusing to work for subminimum wages, employers are raising wages to recruit staff, and the political landscape to advance policy to raise wages has changed dramatically. Given the historic moment, One Fair Wage has launched an ambitious campaign to advance bills and ballot measures in 25 states nationwide to raise wages and end subminimum wages in the US - and through the process, engage millions of unlikely, low-wage worker voters politically. One Fair Wage is thus advancing policy, voter engagement, employer engagement, and culture shift activities to ultimately lift millions of tipped workers out of poverty nationwide and engage them in the political process that governs their lives.
One Fair Wage is hiring a Communications Manager who will manage the organization’s public relations, social media, narrative, and branding efforts. The ideal candidate for this position is experienced, strategic, energetic, and innovative, and has experience in both communications and digital engagement. The candidate will bring strong organizational, relationship management, and planning skills to this role. This is a full-time position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Traditional media -- 25%
- Work and manage with the earned media consulting team to create a strategic database of key reporters, editors, producers, hosts, and columnists in our issue/campaign areas, and pitch op-eds and other essays online and in print that reframes/shift the political and cultural discussion around subminimum wage work and our campaign
- Developing ideas for, and occasionally drafting if needed press releases, press statements, op-eds, and other media alerts and track follow-up, responses, etc.
- Work with our CRM manager to regularly input data that allows for easy outreach/blasts as well as contact tracking/follow-up for traditional media contacts
Narrative and industry shift -- 10%
- Work to move the industry through campaigns and efforts,
- Branding and voice management
- Work to create branding and style guidelines
- Implement these guidelines across departments
- Create OFW talking points for all staff and consultants, and then train them as appropriate
- Participating in brainstorming about film, video, television, and other nontraditional media efforts, providing narrative framing and press strategy as projects advance
Digital communications -- 40%
- Website -- 5%
- Work in conjunction with a web designer to refresh the One Fair Wage website
- Develop all content and collaborate on a strategy for the OFW website, including our ability to connect the One Fair Wage website to other key digital real estate including RAISE,
- Maintain and manage press and news sections of the One Fair Wage website, including up-to-date posting of press releases and other statements, and posting highlight media coverage
- Social media -- 10%
- Supervise digital staff members to develop social media, graphics, and shareable video clips
- Develop an audit and strategy to grow and deeper our engagement with our social media communities, with pathways into action
- Develop and distribute digital toolkits to promote actions, events, films, and other OFW activities
- Oversee social media advertising and fundraising
- Email -- 15%
- Develop one, cohesive email program to target various objectives and audiences
- Work with consultants to develop and approve email copy, A/B test it and distribute it with the proper targeting
- Industry and political digital communications - 10%
- Provides strategy and digital communications support for the legislative movement
- Provides strategy and digital communications support for actions and events.
- Train organizers, staff, and volunteers on best practices for digital communications and online storytelling
Organizational leadership -- 20%
- Participate fully as part of the OFW Directors Team
- Collaborate with the team to develop a content strategy and calendar for all communications platforms
- Supervise all communications support consultants, including running regular check-in meetings and requesting updates, to maximize contract impact/output
Evaluation -- 5%
- Regularly track communications processes, pilot new tactics, and modify existing strategies based on results
- Develop evaluation templates to create and share “snapshots” of our progress.
- Ability to think creatively: Provide strategy and suggestions.
- Manages a high volume of work with efficiency: Has, or can create, a system for keeping tasks from slipping through the cracks. Able to juggle competing demands and prioritize without sacrificing quality. Plans backward to make deadlines.
- Entrepreneurial and resourceful: Consistently overcomes challenges and leverages resources to creatively solve problems. Proposes solutions to issues without much guidance (but isn’t afraid to ask questions). Proactively asks for help, anticipates problems, and course-corrects where needed.
- Attention to detail: Notices and fixes errors that others might overlook. Acknowledges mistakes and turns them into learning opportunities. Has a track record of leaving things better than they found them.
- Strong sense of ownership and resilience: Plans ahead and finds alternative paths, when needed, to get to the finish line. Bounces back from setbacks and rejections. Holds a high bar even when things are hectic.
- Strength in managing, developing, coaching, and retaining individuals and teams, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility and performance
- Trustworthiness and realness: Come across as genuine. That says what they mean. Builds authentic relationships across lines of difference, such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, gender identity, citizenship status, or other identities. Follow through on commitments.
- A minimum of 3 years of nonprofit experience is required; a preference for 5 years of experience in non-profit communications and digital engagement with growing responsibilities and a track record of success
One Fair Wage can offer $76,000 - 90,000 based on experience, medical and dental benefits, as well as a very capable and motivated team to work with.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organization. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status and will provide reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Former service workers, women, and people of color are encouraged to apply. Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.