3 International Drive
The Director, Donor Development Initiatives is a business partner to the National Directors of Philanthropy and Sr. Director, Donor Development Initiatives, as well as the network of LLS Chapters they support. They are the Subject Matter Expert (SME) on major gifts fundraising strategy—especially moves management planning, conducting major gifts visits, and optimizing solicitation opportunities—and maintain in-depth working knowledge of the LLS value proposition, funding opportunities, and stewardship assets. The Director works in partnership with the Senior Director, Donor Development Initiatives, and other business partners to equip National Directors of Philanthropy and Chapters for face-to-face interactions with major donors, with special emphasis on $100,000+ solicitations.
Reports to: Senior Director, Donor Development Initiatives
- Drive donor-facing activity through in-depth knowledge of Chapter pipelines and proactive, strategic support of major donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship—especially of $100,000+ donors/prospects.
- Business partner to National Directors of Philanthropy and Sr. Director, Donor Development Initiatives in proactively and creatively aligning major donor objectives to available funding opportunities and cultivation/stewardship assets.
- Drive revenue toward LLS’s strategic priorities, while maintaining donor-centered approach.
- Leverage all available national and Chapter assets to craft personalized proposals, stewardship pieces, and other assets that advance major donor relationships and solicitations.
- Surface executive leadership and research partner engagement opportunities. Ensures opportunities are optimized through timely, quality preparation and follow up.
- Monitor major donor meeting pipeline, communicating trends and significant opportunities to Senior Director, Donor Development Initiatives and/or relevant Donor Development leadership.
- Business partner to the Senior Director, Donor Development Initiatives, in developing scripts, talking points, and training materials that equip frontline fundraisers to take full advantage of assets.
- Fully leverage Leukemia & Lymphoma Society resources to highest and best use in multi-year solicitation, cultivation and stewardship plans across all LLS products.
- Perform strategic and other initiatives to benefit the Donor Development Department and the organization, as requested.
Level of Language Proficiency
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum 5-7 years of major gifts fundraising experience, including experience personally soliciting $10,000+ gifts.
- Direct experience developing solicitation strategies and donor-facing materials for $100,000+ gifts.
- Progressive experience in successful development programs and knowledge of “best practices” in development.
- Capacity to acquire an understanding of leukemia, lymphoma, non-Hodgkin lymphoma and myeloma, as well as issues of concern to blood cancer patients and their families.
- Experience working in a matrix environment preferred.
- Experience collaborating with remote colleagues preferred.
- Creative, motivated self-starter.
- Ability to maximize impact of all LLS assets – local and national – to achieve objectives.
- Superior writing and layout/design skills to craft compelling proposals.
- Highly organized, with strong project management skills and ability to balance multiple priorities effectively.
- Resourcefulness and problem-solving acumen.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills. Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team, regardless of the task at hand.
- Professional demeanor and commitment to highest customer service standards.
- Advanced fluency in MS Office Suite and InDesign preferred.
Minimum Education Required