Role & Responsibilities
Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the assigned MHPSS project(s). This involves effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Other important aspects of the role include managing and training local staff to meet international quality standards in mental health care delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders and anticipating, planning and contributing to the development of MHPSS components for new health project proposals and reports.
Medair’s goal in Leer County is to reduce morbidity and mortality in vulnerable populations through the provision of emergency health, nutrition and WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) services, and to improve the mental and psychosocial wellbeing of affect populations.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Leer, South Sudan. This is a field-based position with very basic working and living conditions (living in tents or tukuls).
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Psychosocial Support Project Management
- Manage the assigned MHPSS projects in order to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame, reporting promptly operational concerns to Project Coordinator (PC) and Health Advisor (HA).
- Contribute to development and implementation of an appropriate and effective MHPSS strategy including proactive planning for responsible exit in consultation with PC and HA.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for MHPSS activities in collaboration with the PC, HA, field managers.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps and the Medair country strategy, with the field team and HA. Ensure holistic services for survivors of gender-based violence including clinical management and psychosocial support.
- Oversee the formation of care groups (CGs)and CG activity implementation, ensuring sustainability including Child Friendly Spaces (CFS). Work closely with the MOH and Health staff in Supporting management and follow-up of SGBV patients.
- Line-manage the senior BCC/PSS Officers and Mental Health Supervisors within the assigned projects, including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives and work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Manage the MHPSS budgets for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication & Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned MHPSS team, Medair in-country and GSO advisors and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in protection, MHPSS TWG, GBV and health meetings as appropriate, in liaison with HA. In trainings, & working groups, representing Medair & feeding back to the HA, MHPSS staff on issues.
- Ensure timely procurement of psychotropic medicine, equipment, and medical supplies for delivery of the project. Liaise with the logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Ensure MHPSS projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and CHS.
- Ensure Quality treatment and follow-up of mental health patients in line with the treatment guidelines.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- A Psychiatric Nurse/Social Worker. Degree in Global Mental Health.
- Medical doctor or nurse with mental health qualification Counselling qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 2 years’ post-qualification professional experience.
- At least 1-year management experience.
- Minimum of 1 years’ experience working as MHPSS manager overseeing mental health/ psychosocial/ protection projects in humanitarian sector.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and CHS as well as IASC guidelines and policies for MHPSS in emergencies. Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of psychosocial programmes.
- Knowledge and experience of (primary) mental health care principles and management.