Details: The San Francisco Girls Chorus offers a competitive hourly rate that will depend on experience.
44 Page Street
Reporting to the San Francisco Girls Chorus’s Director of Chorus School Administration & Programs, the Chorus Counselor, a part-time, non-exempt position, serves as an important resource to choristers and liaison between the Chorus and families. The Chorus Counselor will help to ensure that choristers have a positive, successful experience as well as a complete understanding of Chorus standards and guidelines, and will facilitate communication between faculty, choristers and their families.
Chorister/Family Relations and Communications
· Maintain close contact with all levels of SFGC singers by attending and observing weekly rehearsals and actively getting to know choristers
· Act as liaison between families, choristers, faculty and staff
· Advise and offer solutions to choristers and families with various concerns and issues
· Refer chorister and families to other health care and education professionals, as needed
· Advise and follow up with parents regarding any medical emergencies
· Contributes in monthly communications to parents for email distribution
· Accompany choristers on tour and maintain communication with families before, during and after
· Serve as a resource to faculty regarding behavioral issues and/or child development
· Attend meetings with faculty and families to address behavioral or social issues
· Meet with camp counselors before and during Summer Music Camp to provide training, behavioral and mindfulness tools, expectations, and policies
· Assist faculty with camp roommate assignments and provide insight to potential behavioral problems
· Attend Summer Music Camp and provide support to counselors and choristers with needs and concerns
· Lead faculty/staff emergency training sessions annually
· Determine and implement interventions in collaboration with faculty, families and choristers
· Facilitate meetings with faculty and families to address problems
· Collect and maintain written records of all chorister/family contact
· Assist in reviewing the Chorus School Handbook and policies
· Assist with the development and leading of administrative and faculty meetings and retreats throughout the year
· Provide staff training as requested on team building, conflict resolution, time management and other relevant topics
· Develop and maintain delivery of Mindfulness programming throughout the academic year and at summer camp
· Develop curriculum for Leadership Group and facilitate monthly meetings
· Maintain online Leadership Group communication and information sharing
· Bachelor’s Degree in psychology, social work, or a related field; Master’s Degree preferred
· Minimum 2 years’ experience as counselor in an academic or other non-profit environment
· Ability to work independently and prioritize tasks
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Knowledge of performing arts, especially classical music, a plus
The Chorus Counselor is a part-time, non-exempt position that will require an average of 12 hours per week. In addition to regular, ongoing hours during the week that coincide with chorus rehearsals in San Francisco and Berkeley, the position will require some flexibility for occasional weekend and evening performances, meetings, and other events throughout the year. The position will also be expected to be in residence during SFGC’s annual, week-long summer camp at the Rio Lindo Adventist Academy in Healdsburg, CA.
ABOUT THE SAN FRANCISCO GIRLS CHORUS
Founded in 1978, the San Francisco Girls Chorus is a renowned, industry-leading performing arts and music education organization that empowers young women through music. Under the leadership of Artistic Director, Lisa Bielawa, and Music Director, Valerie Sainte-Agathe, SFGC enrolls nearly 300 choristers ages 5-18 from 45 cities and all 9 Bay Area counties each year. Served by a music faculty of 21 teaching artists and 7 administrators, the organization operates a professional-level performance, recording and touring ensemble; a four-level Chorus School training program; and a Preparatory Chorus.
SFGC collaborates annually with leading arts and cultural organizations including the San Francisco Opera, San Francisco Symphony, San Francisco Ballet, San Francisco Film Festival, and the Kronos Quartet, among many others. The Chorus has performed at major national and international venues across the country, including the 2009 inauguration of President Barack Obama, New York’s Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center, and The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC. SFGC has also toured the world, performing in Japan, China, Korea, Germany, the Nordic countries, and Cuba. SFGC’s commitment to artistic excellence has been recognized through numerous awards, including five GRAMMY Awards and three ASCAP/Chorus America Awards for Adventurous Programming.
SFGC owns and operates the Kanbar Performing Arts Center, a six-story hub for the arts in San Francisco’s Civic Center district that annually serves more than 30 arts organizations. SFGC’s current annual operating budget is $2.4 million.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email a brief cover letter, resume, and list of three references to J. Andrew Bradford, Executive Director, at email@example.com, by Friday, April 20, 2018. Include job title in subject line. Applications may also be mailed to: San Francisco Girls Chorus, 44 Page Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94102. No phone calls, please.