TRLA is seeking a self-starting, motivated individual to join the Grants Management team. The Grants Manager will ensure the timely submission of grant reports and serve as first tier compliance to ensure that we are complying with grant, contract, and funder requirements.
Founded in 1970 to represent Texas farmworkers, TRLA has grown into the nation’s second largest legal aid provider and the largest in Texas. TRLA provides free civil legal services to residents in 68 Southwest Texas counties, and represents migrant and seasonal farm workers throughout the state and in six other southern states. TRLA also operates public defender programs that serve at least 10 Texas counties, representing low-income and indigent people accused of felonies, misdemeanors, and juvenile crimes.
The Grants Manager will assist in leading the Grants Management team, which will manage grants through their lifecycle and ensure the proper and due diligence for all Federal, State, Local and Foundation grants, and contracts. The successful candidate will have substantial experience collaborating and working effectively across multiple teams and have strong funder relations and communication experience. This position will be responsible for administering a 75+ grant/contracts portfolio and will report to the Director of Administration.
**Please note: This is a full-time position based out of TRLA’s Mercedes, TX office. TRLA’s offices are currently working remotely due to the covid-19 pandemic. This position will require working remotely from home until our offices reopen.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Grant and Financial Planning
- Works with Accounting staff to develop budgets for individual grant applications and proposed projects.
- Provides other financial information to support grant applications.
- Uses current and projected grant information to provide distributions and allocations for grants and contracts. Works with Financial and Accounting to ensure that grant allocations are managed throughout the entirety of the grant as they relate to budgets.
- Grant Tracking
- Develops systems for effectively and efficiently tracking all grant expenditures.
- Develops, maintains, and ensures proper grants management procedures are in place and consistently followed, including but not limited to due diligence procedures, grant reporting, award letters, grant agreements, and procedures to ensure funding availability.
- Tracks expenditures for all TRLA grants to ensure that grant monies are being expended appropriately. Works with Accounting Office staff to track these expenditures.
- Provides regular reports to Executive Director, Chief Financial Officer, and Director of Administration regarding grant expenditures.
- Develops systems for effectively and efficiently tracking all grant programmatic targets, outputs, and goals.
- Provides Group Coordinators, Team managers and Project Directors with grant targets, outputs, and goals for each grant and tracks the progress for each grant to ensure that all are being met.
- Facilitate and/or be responsible for processing certain high-level and sensitive grant information.
- Oversee grant reporting and analysis.
- Grant Reporting
- Responsible for the timely submission of all programmatic reports to funders.
- Works with administrative staff to coordinate programmatic and financial reporting.
- Works with project directors to ensure accurate and timely submission of reports.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other internal teams, including the finance/accounting, program, and development departments.
- Attends all grant related trainings by funders.
- Monitoring Visits
- Coordinates with administrative staff for all program monitoring visits.
- Coordinates with funders on all program monitoring visits.
- Coordinates responses and assists in the preparation of Corrective Action Plans when necessary.
- Provides other support related to grants planning and management to Executive Director, Director of Administration, and other administrative staff.
- Provides support to Resource Development staff to develop targets and outputs for grant proposals.
- Personnel management
- Works with Group Coordinators and Team Managers to assign staff to appropriate grants.
- Works with Group Coordinators and Team Managers to inform and train staff on grant requirements.
- Monitors performance of casehandlers relating to grant requirements.
- Participates in evaluations of casehandlers.
- Assists in training of staff on grant and program requirements.
Competencies and Qualifications (Required)
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Substantial experience working with grants and contracts.
- Mathematical literacy and some mastery of basic accounting concepts
- Strong skills managing people, processes, and timelines.
- Proven ability to track and manage several projects and processes simultaneously and work in a high-pressured environment under constant deadlines.
- Highly effective oral and written communicator with the ability to adapt to a wide range of communications styles.
- Exceptionally motivated, organized and detail-oriented; team player with a willingness to help where required.
- Ability to work both under supervision and independently.
- Core Competencies and Qualifications (Desired)
- Demonstrated experience implementing relevant software (Office 365, Teams, Zoom)