Details: Based on experience and qualifications
The News Literacy Project (NLP) is looking for a sales manager — our first — to lead our new organizational sales initiative. This role requires self-directed, personal initiative and a “roll up your sleeves” entrepreneurial startup mindset. The position offers the successful candidate a tremendous opportunity to expand our market presence, our earned revenue and our important work of embedding news literacy in the American education experience.
The News Literacy Project is a national nonpartisan education nonprofit that works with educators and journalists to teach middle school and high school students how to sort fact from fiction in the digital age. Our central offering is the checkology® virtual classroom, an online e-learning hub. Since the checkology® platform was introduced in May 2016, more than 12,500 educators have registered to use it in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, three U.S. territories and 91 other countries. We are expanding the NLP team to support significant user growth with the launch of the checkology® 2.0 platform this fall, and we will be charging for Premium access to the platform for the first time, beginning with subscriptions for the 2018-19 school year.
About the position
The sales manager is a member of the NLP Development/Revenue Team and reports directly to the chief operating officer (COO). You’ll be both familiar with the digital education curriculum market and conversant with the general American educational landscape. You’ll hit the ground running, be unafraid to experiment, and be a highly motivated self-starter who displays personal integrity, has a sense of fun and is comfortable working both independently and collaboratively.
In this job, you will:
- Design and execute the NLP-driven sales and marketing efforts for the checkology® platform, including conferences/trade shows, marketing/advertising and direct sales outreach.
- Manage all marketing and revenue-sharing partnerships NLP enters into to sell checkology® licenses.
- Set, achieve and exceed sales revenue goals.
- Explore and design additional revenue-generating opportunities from other NLP assets.
- Manage all marketing and sales support infrastructure, including database management, to build our sales pipeline and to create and develop our sales systems.
- Initiate and manage sales conversations with key decision-makers in school districts with potential and current checkology® platform users to generate leads and grow earned revenue.
- Collaborate with the Communications Team to design and produce the messaging and collateral needed to support sales efforts.
- Collaborate with the COO and the Development/Revenue Team as needed to ensure a cohesive approach to revenue generation across the organization.
- Learn and maintain a breadth of knowledge about the checkology® platform, news literacy trends and NLP’s partners, peer organizations and competitors.
- Potentially supervise additional sales team members with the expansion of this area of the organization.
The ideal candidate also will have most or all of the following:
- A bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of direct B2B sales to the education sector.
- Experience in managing sales partnerships.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and natural inclination to take initiative, move quickly and be creative.
- Comfort working independently and collaboratively with a larger team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop productive working relationships across a diverse spectrum of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated success in managing and expanding a brand-new sales portfolio with minimum supervision.
- Direct user familiarity with sales databases.
- Strong and proactive communication skills with teams, customers and contractors.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and regularly meet tight deadlines.
- Experience with virtual work environment (both technology tools and personal skills).
- A keen intellect, with a strong work ethic and a “team player” attitude.
- Alignment with the NLP mission.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is based on experience and qualifications. NLP offers outstanding benefits, including competitive salary, generous time off, health and dental insurance, a 401(k) plan and more.
The position can be based in Washington, D.C., in New York City or in Chicago. Regular travel (25%-40%) will be required to meet with clients across the U.S. and, if the successful candidate lives in New York City or Chicago, with NLP staff in Washington.
The application deadline is 5 p.m. ET on Monday, April 30. We hope to hire as quickly as possible for a start date before July 1.
The News Literacy Project welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds. We offer equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons and prohibit discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service or other protected status.
NLP offers outstanding benefits, including competitive salary, generous time off, health and dental insurance, a 401(k) plan and more.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send a thoughtful cover letter (with salary expectations) and a resume (with past sales production history, including product portfolio, price point(s), target customers and your personal annual total sales) to NLPjobs@newslit.org with “Sales Manager” in the subject line.