Details: Competitive Salary and Benefits
630 Flushing Ave, 8th Floor
Green City Force (GCF) seeks an experienced professional with strong financial and accounting skills, and a track record of excellence in all facets of financial control. Reporting to the Chief Finance Officer, the Director of Finance is instrumental in ensuring GCF’s financial systems and processes effectively sustain the day-to-day and future operations of a growing organization with an annual budget of $7 million, including a thriving social enterprise. The ideal candidate will be a a strategic thinker and effective problem solver who thrives in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. GCF has garnered awards and recognition at every level, including the Mayor’s “Most Innovative Nonprofit in NYC”.
This is an opportunity to join an organization with a proven track record, strong growth potential, and a positive organizational culture for personal growth and collective impact as a critical part of a high-energy team.
- Lead financial planning analysis to advise on and support operational and strategic decisions across the organization
- Develop, implement and maintain effective financial/accounting policies, processes, and internal controls, including coordination of all tax filings
- Implement and manage contracts management and financial management reporting systems, including forecasting accurate and adequate cash-flow
- Prepare timely and accurate financial reports on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis, as well ongoing financial information for the CFO and members of the Green City Force Leadership Team
- Ensure accurate ledger coding for al P&L and balance sheet items
- Lead development, adoption, and monitoring of departmental budgets, work with CFO and department heads to set allocations for salaries and overhead, and facilitate regular planning meetings with department heads
- Coordinate with Development Department to develop budgets for grant proposals, and provide regular financial updates and analysis for grant reporting
- Manage semi-monthly payroll, including the monitoring of employee time-sheets to ensure appropriate allocation
- Process payments, produce statements of accounts, collections on overdue accounts, and reconciliations when required
- Oversee end of month closing, including review of accrued expenses, payment of all credit card bills with appropriate documentation, and setting credit card limits in line with program needs.
- Process bank deposits and reconciliations, and manage all associated bank entries
- Supervise finance staff and contractors.
- Passion for Green City Force’ mission
- Degree in Accounting, CPA or MBA
- Demonstrated functional expertise with 5+ years of experience in financial and accounting management for nonprofits and/or social enterprise
- Strategic thinker, planner, and problem solver, with demonstrated ability to adapt quickly and thrive in an entrepreneurial setting.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Green City Force (GCF) is an AmeriCorps program that engages young adults who reside in New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) communities in national service and work experiences related to the environment. In doing so, we prepare them for sustainable careers, while serving to make public housing communities more sustainable and healthier, creating the green city we want to see. Green City Force’s large-scale service initiatives reach thousands of residents while creating a platform for our members to grow and lead. Through Farms at NYCHA, GCF teams build urban farms, grow and distribute over 20K pounds of organic produce in six public housing communities across the City. Love Where You Live has reached tens of thousands with sustainability education in homes. Since 2016, we have been expanding our social enterprise to create employment pathways for GCF graduates into good jobs in the clean energy sector. GCF’s EmPower team, entirely graduate-staffed and led, won a State-wide excellence in 2018 and GCF’s Illuminators are helping to retrofit NYCHA home by home. GCF graduates, who number over 400, are employed in leading companies in the clean energy and urban agriculture sectors. To learn more, please visit http://greencityforce.org/
People of color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Green City Force is committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Green City Force is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions, in accordance with state and federal law.
GCF is an Employer of National Service. We recognize the value of skills gained during national service and alumni of national service programs are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
TO APPLY: Please email a resume, 3 references and a cover letter, including salary requirements to Jobs@Greencityforce.org. Please indicate the position for which you are applying in the subject of your email. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We are looking to fill this position immediately.