What we are looking for:
We want an energetic youth organizer to join our Campaign Team, who has experience working alongside young people and is invested in building youth power in South King County. This person should enjoy geeking out on facilitation outlines, icebreakers, and making political education accessible and rad. We need someone with on-the-ground grassroots organizing experience. We also want someone who is creative, energetic, optimistic, and full of laughter and joy and understands the importance of organizing in ways that are sustainable for the long-haul and wants to integrate art and food making with systems change.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Minimum 2 years of experience (paid or volunteer) working with high school youth through: mentoring, leadership development or organizing
- A proven track record in supporting the leadership of young people of color, youth from immigrant families and youth from low-income backgrounds; and a willingness to take leadership from young people themselves
- Experience in or demonstrated commitment to incorporating the art and cultural work in education and organizing to build collective power
- Experience developing curriculum for workshops, leadership trainings, or political education for diverse audiences
- Strong facilitation skills
- Strong planning and time management skills
- A demonstrated knowledge and commitment to apply racial, gender and economic justice lenses to youth and organizing work
- Ability to build strong relationships with community partners, young people and work towards coalition building and a collective vision
- Ability to work with a team, have strong communication, sense of humor, collaboration and self-initiative; ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Experience with grass-roots organizing strategies
- Experience with strengths-based conflict resolution and transformative justice tools
- Experience and knowledge of food justice and healthy equity work
- Experience in building out a new program within a school setting and district administrators
- Experience in of demonstrated desire to work in a busy kitchen with patience and enthusiasm for improvisational cooking and food justice work
- Familiarity with South King County
Job Overview and Responsibilities:
The FEEST Youth Organizer is a full-time position that reflects our commitment to growing FEEST into new schools and continuing to build youth power in South King County. This role will be supported by the team to learn grassroots organizing to impact the overall health of students in Highline and Seattle Public School district.. The overall responsibilities include:
- Growing our organizing base with new Highline and Seattle Public School partnerships
- Build and maintain FEEST presence at new SKC schools through relationship building, coalition cultivation with youth leaders, school administrators and school district stakeholders
- Work with FEEST youth leaders to co-develop popular education workshops with themes around health justice campaigns to take to new school locations (re: school food, eater access, holistic health in schools, etc.)
- Establish dynamic and energizing organizing programming with new youth leaders, organize and build out base and strengthen our health justice campaigns
- Work collaboratively with 3 other FTE program team members to support a 30 member youth leadership team, co-develop curriculum, facilitate weekly youth-leader meetings at multiple school sites
- Facilitating weekly meetings with youth leader cohort, supporting the broader FEEST strategic vision and campaign strategy and tactics
- Engage in collective visioning with staff and youth to create FEEST’s organizing strategy.
- Represent FEEST with teachers, school district staff, county government, and organizational partners as needed.
- Salary range: $45-48k annually, 40 hours a week with room to grow
- We provide full medical benefits, generous paid time off and access to professional development each year
- Access to a vehicle is highly recommended. Our program sites are far-reaching across White Center, South Seattle, Rainier Beach and Sea-Tac and our office is not very accessible by transit.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required