622 West 113th Street
MC4520 7th Floor
Reporting to the Deputy Director, the Associate Director, Data Science provides data/statistical analysis, business intelligence and data visualization products, ad hoc queries, and training primarily in support of the development strategies of the Office of Alumni and Development (OAD). The Associate Director works closely with colleagues in Data Science and other areas of the organization to maximize the value of Data Science tools and resources to the Alumni and Development community.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Partner closely with colleagues in Annual Fund Programs, the Campaign Management Office, Digital Marketing Initiatives, Finance, and University Alumni Relations, as well as the various schools and units (Columbia College, etc.), to advance strategic development and alumni relations priorities
- Provide business intelligence, reporting, and analytics in support of broader strategic priorities within OAD, using internal and external data sources, via available reporting and analytics platforms
- Use advanced PL/SQL and report-authoring syntax to create and maintain Data Science tools and resources (standard and ad hoc reports, database objects, etc.)
- Develop, implement, and continuously enhance constituent behavioral models and standard metrics
- Understand and prepare raw data, apply data models using statistical methods and algorithms, and then extract and communicate useful results in easily digestible formats
- Disseminate use cases of and best practices associated with Data Science tools and resources to the University Development and Alumni Relations community
- Maintain proficiency in cutting edge analytical techniques and tools
- Ad hoc project assistance, as required
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent required.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of work experience is required, with a minimum of two (2) years of work related to data analysis.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite (advanced Excel) and other common computer applications required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in SQL is required, preferably in an Oracle (PL/SQL) environment.
- Proficiency in one or more of the following data analysis applications (R, SPSS, SAS, Python, MATLAB) and/or business intelligence and data visualization platforms (Microsoft SSRS, MS Power BI, Crystal Reports, Tableau, QlikView).
- Additional familiarity with fundraising database applications, especially Advance, highly desirable.
- Excellent oral and interpersonal skills and strong project management and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a demanding environment.
- This position requires strong attention to detail and the ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information. Strong customer service skills and an exemplary attitude are required.
- Ability to work efficiently in a virtual environment with off-site colleagues.
- The successful candidate must be a strategic thinker, effective in moving strategic agendas, politically savvy, flexible in nature, and have a sound judgment with a collaborative style that fosters teamwork and cooperation beyond the immediate team to the broader organization.
- Must have a passion for excellent customer service, commitment to exceptional quality, and an ability to inspire colleagues toward accomplishing common objectives and goals.
- Substantial coursework in Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science, Economics, Business, or a related discipline strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of common practices in the fields of fundraising, alumni relations, development, and prospect development preferred.
- Ability to conceptualize and develop proactive prospecting methodologies to support organizational goals, including data mining, sophisticated constituent database queries, etc. preferred.
Columbia University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Medical, Dental, Retirement, Paid Time Off, Disability, Life etc.Medical, Dental, Retirement, Paid Time Off, Disability, Life etc.
Minimum Education Required