820 First Street Northeast
District of Columbia
The ERC is a civil rights organization that identifies and seeks to eliminate unlawful and unfair discrimination in housing, employment, and public accommodations in its home community of Greater Washington, D.C. and nationwide. The ERC’s core strategy for identifying unlawful and unfair discrimination is civil rights testing. When the ERC identifies discrimination, it seeks to eliminate it through the use of testing data to educate the public and business community, support policy advocacy, conduct compliance testing and training, and, if necessary, take enforcement action.
The ERC is looking for a professional with demonstrated passion for civil rights to be the Program Assistant. The successful candidate will be required to work across program teams to support the ERC’s mission-related work in fair housing, strategic initiatives, and accessibility rights. This position will be focused especially on writing for a diverse set of audiences. The Program Assistant will report directly to the Director of Accessibility Rights.
- Research, draft, and organize initial content for civil rights projects and investigations
- Monitor developing civil rights issues and help draft content for social media and blog posts
- Assist with writing and assembling materials for grant proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations
- Provide support to ERC’s education and outreach (E&O) efforts, including:
- Creating/updating, and formatting PowerPoint presentations, materials, and handouts, etc.
- Coordinating logistics for webinars, meetings, and trainings, etc.
- Assist with civil rights projects and investigations, which may include:
- Providing logistical support
- Making advance calls for testing
- Compiling information for files or reports
- Inputting tests into the CRM database
- Conducting civil rights testing as instructed
- Assist with the ERC’s corporate compliance work as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- A Bachelor degree from an accredited institution;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- A working knowledge of civil rights laws, and a demonstrated commitment to social justice;
- Experienced and skilled in using all Microsoft Office platforms and program databases;
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills;
- Proven ability to simultaneously work on multiple projects and meet strict deadlines;
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, high-demand environment, with lots of change and team collaboration required.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary will be commensurate with experience. The ERC offers a generous benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, paid leave, and other competitive benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please e-mail a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org:
E-mail Subject Line: Program Assistant
Deadline: Submissions by April 20, 2018.
The Equal Rights Center is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Equal Rights Center is a barrier, drug, and smoke free workplace.