2100 24th Avenue South, Suite 360
SUMMARY: The College Support Team serves approximately 170 students at public and private colleges/universities in Washington State and throughout the country. The Academic Counselor manages a caseload of over 50 students, providing academic and social-emotional support. The Academic Counselor reports to the Director of College Support.
- Provide support and maintain personal contact throughout the college years to a caseload of over 50 college students. This includes regular in-person, telephone, text and email contacts.
- Maintain regular logs of student contacts, as well as prepare an annual report for each scholar.
- Serve as a resource for scholars and connect students with appropriate counseling or other resources as needed during college years (including academic, financial aid, and social/emotional support).
- Assist the Director of College Support in establishing contacts and building relationships with appropriate personnel at colleges in which Rainier Scholars students are enrolled.
- Twice a year, travel to visit first year students who live outside the Seattle area.
- In collaboration with the College Support team, assist with the planning of College Support events and programs, including the College 101 Retreat to be held each summer for entering college cohort.
- Collaborate with the College Support Team to identify, define and meet student career planning and post-graduation needs.
The successful candidate will be able to:
· Demonstrate ability to counsel college students and navigate university/college and career resources.
· Demonstrate ability to build relationships with scholars and university/college administrators.
· Effectively work with and support students of color.
· Prioritize projects effectively, take initiative, demonstrate resourcefulness, and respond flexibly to changing work demands.
· Demonstrate strong organizational skills, time management, attention to detail, and follow-through.
· Show exceptional judgment and integrity, including maintaining confidentiality as appropriate.
· Demonstrate a professional presence, strong interpersonal skills, and excellent written and verbal communication skills (including public speaking).
· Work effectively in a collaborative environment.
· Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
· Effective counseling and advising skills, especially with students of color.
· Experience working with diverse populations of students and families.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should send cover letter, resume and list of references to:
Attn: Hiring-Academic Counselor, College Support
2100 24th Ave. S., Suite 360
Seattle, WA 98144
Office: (206) 407-2118 / Fax: (206) 407-2112 / E-mail: email@example.com
Please specify in your cover letter how you learned of this position.
Rainier Scholars is an equal opportunity employer.
Position Open Until Filled