Cancer strikes more than 10 million people worldwide each year. As the leading medical society representing doctors who care for people with cancer, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) is committed to conquering cancer though research, education, and promotion of the highest quality patient care.
Who we are:
ASCO is a stable, forward-thinking, growing membership organization that operates in a results-focused work environment in which employees’ evaluation emphasizes performance outcomes. This is an Alexandria, Virginia-based position that offers an excellent benefits package, subsidized parking or Metro benefits, and opportunities to participate in professional development programs. To learn more about ASCO, please visit www.asco.org/jobs.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for a high-performing Government Relations Associate to join the Advocacy division of the Policy and Advocacy Department. The Associate will be responsible for providing general administrative support to the Division and assist with other projects, as needed.
If you have great organizational and customer service skills, we want to hear from you!
What you will do:
- Provide general administrative support to the Advocacy Division on activities related to grassroots, Capitol Hill, the ASCO Association PAC, federal regulatory agencies, state advocacy, and the Government Relations Committee
- Accurately complete division tasks such as planning, tracking, and processing of invoices, contracts, and subscriptions and coordinating the submission of the division budge
- Assist in planning and executing the annual ASCO Advocacy Summit, including serving as the key point of contact for logistical needs of approximately 160 ASCO members attending
- Help coordinate and staff Capitol Hill lobby days, congressional briefings, and receptions
- Coordinate with the Grassroots Specialist to schedule appointments on Capitol Hill and in the district with members of Congress and/or their staff
- Provide support to the Alliance for Childhood Cancer by helping with Alliance events and twice-yearly coalition meetings
- Format and submit hearing testimony and letters to Congressional Committees, state legislatures and regulatory bodies, and comments to federal regulatory agencies, and ensure all letters and comments are saved to our files
- Assist with use of grassroots and bill tracking software, including logging meetings held by lobbyists and volunteers, tagging lobby assignments to offices, and helping to post and send state and federal grassroots alerts as needed
- Coordinate updates to ASCO’s advocacy website
- Track government relations activities and accomplishments for leadership reporting purposes
What you need in order to be successful:
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally in political science or a related field
- Minimum one year of administrative experience working in an office environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Basic knowledge of US government, Congress, and politics
- Self-managed with the ability to multi-task and manage own time, priorities, and resources
- Prior internship experience working in a health care organization, member of Congress, or federal agency a plus
ASCO is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)