11 East 26th Street
The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math. You can learn more about MoMath and its open positions at www.momath.org.
MoMath is seeking an unarmed security officer to greet visitors, keep them safe, and protect the Museum’s exhibits. This role requires comfort working in a high-traffic, youth-oriented destination.
Full-time and part-time, weekday and weekend positions are available. The full-time position offers a full suite of benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor admissions, making sure all visitors have ID cards
- Watch for inappropriate or suspicious behavior
- Intervene with problematic or potentially problematic visitors
- Understand the Museum’s mission and help make MoMath a great family experience
- Dress professionally and be a positive representative of the Museum
- Perform other duties/projects as assigned
- Security, military, police, or equivalent experience
- CPR / First Aid certification
- Previous experience working in a child-friendly environment
- Ability to perform all physical requirements of the position, including the ability to patrol the Museum floor and the ability to lift 50 lbs.
- High school diploma
- Familiarity with New York City attractions is a plus
- Interest in mathematics is a strong plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email ALL the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line that includes “Security Officer” and your name:
1. A cover letter explaining how you meet the criteria
2. A current résumé, including grade point averages
3. A 150- to 500-word statement concerning your views on mathematics or a life experience you have had related to mathematics.