10 South Street
The Friends of Governors Island (The Friends) seeks a full-time Manager of Visitor Services, a new position, to take a lead role in expanding the Island’s visitor experience department. Working closely with the Volunteer, Programs, and Membership departments and reporting directly to the Director of Programming, the Manager of Visitor Services will grow our Visitor Experience department, creating a positive, well-organized and meaningful experience for broad and diverse audiences, with the goal of keeping visitors coming back and cultivating new supporters for the Island. The Manager of Visitor Services will ensure all Governors Island guests enjoy the highest standard of services, promote a culture of access, inclusion and cultural sensitivity.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Design and implement streamlined protocols and procedures for visitor services operations
- Recruit and train seasonal and weekend teams of Visitor Services staff, interns and volunteers; supervise the team in their roles as greeters, tour guides, retail/membership desk sales, etc.
- Act as a mentor to paid high school interns through supervision, one-on-one meetings, participating in and leading workshops, etc.
- Develop protocol and processes for gathering and disseminating weekly on-Island programming information to Visitor Services team and visitors
- Work with the operations, marketing, and fundraising staff to present and update visitor information, signage and electronic and printed materials as needed
- Oversee the Welcome Center, gift store and membership desk, including processing retail and membership sales as needed, maintaining inventory, generating sales reports, etc.
- Provide input on improving and standardizing visitor relations training for all front-facing personnel, including security, ferry, and programs and events staff
- Respond to visitor emails and phone inquiries
- Supervise collection of visitor data through various modes and analyze data to report on visitor statistics
- Supervise collection, tracking, and distribution of visitor and member feedback; work with staff to address complaints and facilitate their resolution
- Assess visitor experience and recommend improvements
- Help plan, staff and supervise all Friends- and Trust- produced public programs and events such as the annual Family Fun Day and Pumpkin Point
- Other tasks as needed
- At least 2 years of visitor services, hospitality or retail management experience, preferably at open space or cultural nonprofit institution
- Excellent initiative and troubleshooting skills
- Exceptional communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills
- Demonstrated team leadership and personnel management experience
- Comfort working with diverse constituents, including high school students
- Experience working with volunteers
- Flexible, energetic attitude
- High attention to detail: ability to manage several projects at once
- Comfort working outdoors
- Computer proficiency: Microsoft Word, Excel; familiarity with POS system and Salesforce a plus
- Valid driver's license required
Must be available to Saturdays, Sundays, and summer holidays (with alternate consecutive weekdays off) during the public access season (May – October). Additional hours and some evenings may be required. This job requires periods of standing and walking outdoors, in addition to occasional heavy lifting.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience; the Friends offers an excellent benefits package. Weekend work is expected with compensatory time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with "Manager of Visitor Services" in the subject.