Details: Salaries are competitive. Salary range is 60,000 - 80,00
New Virginia Majority (NVM), Virginia’s leading civic engagement organization, builds power in working-class communities of color across the Commonwealth. We seek conscious and skilled individuals with a deep commitment to racial and economic justice to join our team. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Richmond or Northern Virginia
New Virginia Majority is looking for a Communications Director to oversee and drive internal and external organizational communications strategy, including supporting earned media work, digital communications, and more.
- Drive major narratives and implement communications strategies that will broaden New Virginia Majority's reach and deepen impact
- Develop and refine NVM’s values-based messaging that engages a broad audience
- Lead the generation of online content that engages the community and leads to measurable action
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic materials, including but not limited to campaign literature, brochures, e-blasts, social media, and website
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Cultivate and develop strategic media relationships at the national, state and local levels; translate complicated policy issues into messages that resonate with media
- Generate media coverage that amplifies our work
- Monitor national, state and local press coverage
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed
- Committed to New Virginia Majority’s mission of social, racial and economic justice
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance the organization's mission and goals
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Experience with how digital communications and organizing can be incorporated into communications
- Experience with grassroots organizing
- Ability to develop and maintain a variety of relationships on a variety of levels.
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines; able to develop and move projects forward with independence and autonomy.
- Self-motivated and works well both independently and on a team
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, manage multiple projects
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback
- Bilingual in Spanish and English languages is preferred
Salaries are competitive. Salary range is 60,000 - 80,000, commensurate with experience, and comes with an excellent benefits package, including health, vision, dental, and stipends for phone and transportation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, 3 writing samples, and contact information for three references to email@example.com with the position name and preferred location in the subject header.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications, only those applicants considered for interviews consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
New Virginia Majority (NVM), Virginia’s leading civic engagement organization, builds power in working-class communities of color across the Commonwealth. We organizes in communities year-round for racial, economic, and environmental justice through political education, mass-scale voter outreach, mobilization, and intensive leadership development around dozens of issues. We fight for a Virginia that is just, democratic and environmentally sustainable. We are an equal opportunity employer.