College Forward is an innovative nonprofit organization that assists low-income youth attend and succeed in college. College Forward is seeking a full-time and experienced Staff Accountant with exceptional communication and organizational skills to assist in recording and reconciling financial transactions. The Staff Accountant will assist the Controller in preparing, organizing, and maintaining files, databases, and records as required. Knowledge of grant management and fund accounting preferred, but not required. Candidates must demonstrate a high level of professionalism; previous Sage/MIP, AmeriCorps, and grants experience is a plus, however it is not required.
This position requires a proven ability to work with the Controller to plan individual work goals in order to meet organizational objectives in a timely manner, the ability to closely monitor progress towards these goals, and the ability to take appropriate remedial action when necessary. Applicants should possess a sincere interest in empowering youth and a passion for higher education.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Verify, allocate, and post details of business transactions to multiple accounts and grants in Sage/MIP from documents such as invoices, receipts, check stubs, and computer printouts.
- Summarize details in separate ledgers or computer files and transfer data to general ledger.
- Manage accounts payable and receivables, including mailing payments on a timely manner.
- Reconcile bank statements on a monthly basis.
- Reconcile financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information, as appropriate.
- Gather and process data from multiple departments and multiple locations for financial purposes.
- Compile weekly or monthly reports to show statistics such as cash receipts and expenditures, accounts payable and receivable, profit and loss, and other items pertinent to nonprofit operations.
- Recommends financial actions by analyzing accounting options.
- Secures financial information by completing all database backups.
- Maintains financial security by following internal controls.
- Assists with annual budgeting process.
- Assisting in processing bi-weekly payroll.
- Maintain customer confidence and protects operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Assist with annual financial audit and reviews by funders.
- Contributes to the financial and organizational team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Represent the organization at meetings and conferences, and to professional organizations and the public.
- Monitor the organizational calendar for progress toward milestones and on-time task completion.
- Assist with special projects as needed, including fundraising events and marketing initiatives.
College Forward has a fun, dynamic, progressive and youth-focused working environment. The noise level in the work environment can sometimes get moderately loud. Responsibilities may occasionally require an adjusted work schedule and/or evening/weekend hours in order to meet deadlines or satisfy program requirements.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The Staff Accountant applicant must also submit to and pass a comprehensive criminal background check before a final offer of employment can be made, and annually thereafter.
- EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: This position requires a college degree with 3 to 5 years of accounting experience. Excellent skills in MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook is required. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited, academically-recognized four-year college. Attention to detail and deadlines a must.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with and present information to others and access information using a computer for several hours at a time. Employees must have mobility throughout the office and have a current drivers license.
- EMOTIONAL DEMANDS: The employee must be emotionally mature and be able to handle difficult and complex situations. Candidates must demonstrate an ability to solve practical problems and deal with frequently changing variables. The employee must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills.
- INTELLECTUAL DEMANDS: Excellent writing and communication skills are essential; English/Spanish bilingualism is a plus. They must be able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. They must be able to effectively present information and respond to questions from the general public, clients, students, partners, and managers.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION:
Please submit a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will not be accepted by post, fax, or delivery.
In your cover letter, please address these questions:
- What is your interest in equal access to education?
- What is your interest in this specific position?
- What are your salary requirements? (applications without salary requirements will not be considered)
College Forward provides equal employment opportunities to all team members and/or applicants for employment or service, without regard to race, color, class, religion/creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, weight, height, disability, political affiliation, marital or familial status, partnership status, citizenship status (except as required by law), veteran status, or status in any group protected by federal law, state law, or local ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations upon request in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. We encourage and support diversity and tolerance in our workplace.