900 Woodbourne Avenue
Managing Director for Curriculum and Academics
About Baltimore Collegiate School for Boys
Baltimore Collegiate School for Boys (Baltimore Collegiate) is an all-boys, tuition-free, college prep public charter school for Baltimore students. We seek out and advance the next generation of young men who, through the finest liberal arts education possible, will become responsible citizens that lead and serve in our community, the nation, and the world. Our mission is to ensure that all of our students will have the opportunity to attend a four-year college or university and become men of great character. We expect our staff to work relentlessly to develop strong relationships with our boys and support them to develop their academic skills, self-motivation, creativity, and character. In its first two years of operation, BCSB has outperformed Baltimore City students in Math and English Language Arts. To find out more visit www.baltimorecollegiate.org. Baltimore Collegiate is operated by the Five Smooth Stones Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization committed to transforming a generation of young men in Baltimore and beyond.
Baltimore Collegiate is located in Baltimore, Maryland. In SY2018-2019, Baltimore Collegiate will serve 480 male students in grades four through eight, and is engaged in strategic growth planning to add high school and early elementary grades over the next three years. Our vision is to have a pipeline of well-educated boys from Kindergarten through Grade 12. Collegiate Scholars will also be supported through college.
Responsibilities: The Managing Director of Curriculum and Academics (“MDCA”) will be responsible for leading teaching and learning in all of Baltimore Collegiate’s 4th to 8th grade classrooms as well as in additional grades that are added to the school over time. This will entail overseeing Baltimore Collegiate’s instructional program and leading the implementation of a high-quality, Maryland College and Career Ready Standards-aligned curriculum that prepares our boys to be successful in college. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching and Learning Systems and Structures. The MDCA will establish/build upon, implement, and monitor a compelling vision and impactful plan for all aspects of teaching and learning at Baltimore Collegiate including but not limited to:
- The thoughtful selection and usage of curriculum and assessment resources across the school characterized by rigorous, high quality materials;
- Data-driven instruction and analysis, as well as the process of collecting, reviewing, and responding to academic data at consistent and timely intervals;
- Intervention programming for students not yet performing at grade level which includes utilizing Collegiate Fellows from our embedded tutoring program ;
- A compliant, best-practices aligned system of teacher and leader coaching, observation, and evaluation designed to rapidly grow educator practice;
- Leading the design, implementation, and oversight of a best-practices aligned process for teacher and leader hiring;
- Establishing teams of teachers to revise and adapt these resources to meet our boys’ needs;
- Training, planning for, and implementation of school-wide assessments (internal and external);
- In-depth teacher professional learning that is content- and curriculum-specific;
- Instructional accountability systems such as lesson and unit planning;
- A comprehensive plan for inclusion, differentiation, and in-classroom support for students with IEPs and 504 plans;
- A school schedule that is maximally aligned with BCSB’s vision and mission;
- Additional critical programs and systems including parent-teacher conferences, grading policies, new teacher on-boarding, etc.
- Ensuring that teachers create a warm, exciting, and innovative learning environment;
- Compliance and accountability activities as needed in the areas of teaching and learning.
- Instructional Leadership Development: the MDCA will manage, support, and coach instructional leaders of specific grade bands. This work will entail:
- Implementing a system of performance management to assess leaders’ areas of strength and growth;
- Offering coaching to instructional leaders;
- Create plans for school-wide and individual leader professional growth;
- Supporting leaders with prioritization and the management of their responsibilities.
- School Growth Planning. In close collaboration with the Executive Director/Founder, the board, and external partners, the MDCA will support with the strategic growth process and oversee the design of academic programming and staffing for additional grades/grade bands that are added to BCSB over time.
- Demonstrated track record of high achievement as a teacher and a school leader;
- Deep understanding of the Maryland College and Career Ready Standards and/or Maryland Content Standards and PARCC, including prior experience teaching to these standards/assessments;
- Knowledge of best practices related to curriculum development and implementation;
- Effective, positive, and respectful interpersonal communication skills with colleagues, students, and families;
- Ability to build positive relationships with colleagues, students, families and the community which reflect recognition of and respect for every boy.
- Patience, flexibility, and a willingness to take risks, “a sense of urgency”;
- Experience working with diverse student populations and children with developmental differences;
- Ability to hold all teachers and staff to high expectations of accountability for their performance;
- Committed and able to meet the unique social-emotional needs of urban male students;
- Demonstrated commitment to professional growth and reflection;
- Strong motivation and commitment to our boys’ wellbeing and preparing them all for success in college.
- At least 4 years of prior instructional leadership experience;
- At least 3 years prior teaching experience in a public or private school, preferably in an urban setting;
- Master’s degree desired (M.A or M.S. in Leadership, Curriculum and Instruction, Teaching, or Education);
- Master’s degree in School Leadership or Administration preferred (or enrollment in a leadership degree program);
Salary and Benefits
This is a senior level position which includes a very competitive salary and benefits package.
Please provide resume and cover letter regarding the applicant’s qualifications for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Baltimore Collegiate School for Boys is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.
Standard competitive benefits package
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email in a resume and cover letter