New York Cares
65 Broadway 19th Floor
NEW YORK CARES BACKGROUND
By developing programs that respond to pressing community needs, New York Cares—New York City’s largest volunteer network in the city—provides a lifeline of support to our city’s most vulnerable residents. Last year, we mobilized more than 64,000 individual volunteers and hundreds of companies, civic and youth groups to help improve the lives of over 400,000 struggling New Yorkers. Our volunteers donate their time and talents at 1,300 nonprofits and schools across the five boroughs to improve education, meet immediate needs such as hunger and homelessness, and revitalize public spaces.
New York Cares prides itself on a culture of excellence, defined by integrity, reliability and professionalism. We have been awarded The New York Times Nonprofit Excellence Award, which recognizes outstanding management practices, and the Peter F. Drucker Award for Nonprofit Innovation. The NonProfit Times, Crain’s New York, The Princeton Review and The Wall Street Journal have all recognized New York Cares as a top-notch employer.
We seek an experienced, creative and dynamic development professional to build and implement a strategic and comprehensive individual and special events fundraising program and manage a high performing team of fundraisers.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Director of Development, Individual Giving & Special Events, manages three full-time staff and various office interns and volunteers to achieve revenue goals of $3.2 million.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Designing and executing a strategic fundraising plan in conjunction with the Chief Development Officer and with the Board of Directors Development Committee;
· Reviewing/analyzing the fundraising potential of existing initiatives and developing new programs to meet the organization’s strategic objectives/vision;
· Cultivating existing relationships with individual donors, developing sponsorship opportunities to recruit new major donors and special events supporters, and overseeing ongoing prospect research to identify and grow the donor base/increase revenue;
· Overseeing all special events including a gala (in coordination with an external event firm and the Board Development Committee), a soiree (in coordination with the Rising Leaders Council- our young professionals group), happy hours, a growing number of hosted events, and a series of donor recognition and cultivation events;
· Directing all aspects of the fundraising process, including: developing/editing a wide array of written material; planning donor engagement projects; managing diverse vendor relationships, and collaborating with Program Staff to maximize current programmatic funding opportunities and develop new initiatives;
· Collaborating closely with the Communications team in the development of stakeholder mapping for current and potential donors and in the execution of a strategic communications plan for donor stewardship:
· Managing the Rising Leaders Council;
· Managing the day-to-day operations of the team. Assessing internal processes for optimal functionality and reworking them when appropriate;
· Actively managing the professional development of the team to grow their skill bases and retain them over time;
· Preparing annual revenue projections and tracking/analyzing ongoing actuals to goals; developing and managing multiple budgets; and, working with internal departments to prepare monthly financials and time-based analysis;
· Ensuring appropriate recognition and timely acknowledgement of donors, working with Senior Staff to coordinate strategic, personalized outreach;
· Staying current with evolving fundraising technologies, and anticipating and responding to philanthropic trends; and,
· Other duties, as assigned.
· A proven success record in fundraising, with 5+ years of related experience
· Experience engaging/stewarding individual donors through methods like moves management
· Proven success crafting successful solicitations and managing high-touch events
· At least two years of direct management experience
· Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
· Superior proofreading and editing abilities
· Highly motivated, energetic self-starter
· Strong planning, administrative, and organizational skills
· Excellent relationship management and team leadership skills
· Strong analytical skills and proven success at assessing procedures/processes
· Broad-based computer skills (MS Office required; Salesforce considered a plus)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered, please submit the following: cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and two writing samples to New York Cares by email at HR@newyorkcares.org Candidates must submit all of this information to be considered. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.