69 E.167th Street, 2nd fl
Ariva seeks a high-energy, self-directed Financial Counselor to deliver financial counseling services in a new project we are launching to serve people with disabilities. The Financial Counselor will help low and moderate-income New Yorkers strengthen their financial stability by assisting them in creating household budgets, improving credit, reducing debt, increasing savings, and accessing affordable and safe financial products and services. The Financial Counselor will work on a rotating basis out of several non-profit community-based organizations, mostly in the Bronx. The Financial Counselor must have a flexible schedule and be available for some evenings and weekends.
· Provide individualized one-on-one financial counseling and coaching to low-and moderate-income clients.
· Maintain ongoing contact with clients to encourage a sustained relationship with the program.
· Enter client data in a timely and accurate manner in client management system.
· Protect client privacy in compliance with contract requirements and Ariva’s policies.
· Help unbanked and underbanked clients access safe bank accounts.
· Help clients with thin files establish a credit score and support clients with a credit score to increase their credit scores.
· Support clients in managing and ultimately reducing their debt.
· Provide clients with information and resources about savings for short- and long-term financial goals.
· Provide outreach and education about Ariva’s projects to build a referral system for clients, to integrate financial counseling into community partners’ existing programs and to promote services available in the community.
· Must be fluent in Spanish.
· Well-organized, computer-literate, with excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Spanish.
· Comfortable with data management and data entry.
· Flexible, patient, with a sense of humor and a strong work ethic.
· Genuine interest in financial capability programs for low-income people and communities.
· Desire to work collaboratively with staff, partners and clients a must.
· Desire and ability to work with diverse populations.
· Must have a Bachelor degree.
In addition to the above competencies, any of the additional skills and experience listed below are desirable:
· Certification in financial counseling (CUNY Consumer and Personal Finance or equivalent).
· Experience with financial counseling and adult education and familiarity with consumer banking products a plus.
· Experience working with people with disabilities.
· Direct experience with financial counseling is not required, training will be offered to the right candidate.
Ariva provides comprehensive benefits including 4 weeks paid time off, 11 paid holidays and paid time for training and professional development. We also provided subsidized health and dental insurance, a flex plan and a retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Must be fluent in both Spanish and English.
Minimum Education Required