The Luminos Fund is looking for an experienced and dynamic Senior Director of Programs to contribute to its rapid growth and expansion. The Senior Director will oversee the design and delivery of the Luminos Second Chance program in different geographies, building and executing against our strategy to reach 200,000 more children in the next five years.
This is a full-time position and will be based in the Northeast United States, ideally in Boston, and will require up to 50% travel to challenging contexts in Africa and the Middle East. This position calls for a seasoned leader who has led international teams for outsized impact, crafting strategy, investing in talent, and driving transformative results for children. Reporting to the CEO, the Senior Director will partner closely with Luminos Fund’s other Senior Director of Programs and broader team to ensure the success of our education mission.
About the Luminos Fund
The Luminos Fund (www.luminosfund.org) believes that no child should be denied the chance to learn. Launched in 2016, Luminos was founded to scale up the Second Chance program, an accelerated learning program that enables children who have been kept out of school by crisis or poverty to catch up to grade level and return to learning – all in 10 months. A registered 501(c)(3) non-profit, we operate programs in Ethiopia, Liberia, and Lebanon, where we work with Syrian refugees. To date, we have helped over 136,502 children secure a second chance to learn.
As the world returns to school following the COVID-19 pandemic, Luminos is rising to meet the moment – launching new country programs and developing new ways of delivering at scale. With as many as 24 million children expected not to return to school, our mission has never been more important.
Luminos launched with a strategic commitment from the Legatum Foundation in 2016. Since then, a series of premier philanthropic organizations have joined our cause, including UBS Optimus Foundation, Dubai Cares, Cartier Philanthropies, and a growing community of high-net-worth individuals. Luminos has been recognized for its achievements globally, receiving the WISE Award in 2017 and the HundrED Education Innovation Award for the last four years.
Duties and Responsibilities
Program Development and Management
- Lead the execution of the Luminos Fund’s Second Chance program including the launch of Second Chance in new geographies
- Lead program design and work to contextualize program elements (e.g., lesson plans, trainings, and manuals) based on need and geography
- Build and support a framework of continuous learning: drive the program’s monitoring, evaluation, and learning strategy by building on existing internal and external M&E frameworks
- Source and develop strong external evaluation partners across all major geographies, and ensure the timely delivery of rigorous, accurate, and actionable external evaluations
- Manage and oversee in-country operational and financial management
- Work with the Luminos finance team to prepare annual country budgets
- Lead the design and development of program toolkits and modules that effectively share Luminos pedagogy and practice with the international education sector
- Capture insights from program design and development in blogs and articles, developed in coordination with the Luminos communications team
Staff and Stakeholder Management
- Plan staffing expansion across multiple country programs in support of aggressive growth goals
- Recruit and develop world class talent from a range of different national contexts
- Build a strong, diverse team with a wide array of talents, held together by strong core values and ways of working
- Manage key in-country relations with various stakeholders, including senior Ministry of Education officials
- Source and secure speaking opportunities at major national and international conferences, and represent Luminos with skill, eloquence, and dynamism
- Analyze and report on program performance for senior leadership and the Board of Directors
Fundraising and Donor Relationship Management
- Ensure delivery of timely, accurate, and accessible reporting across a range of donor requirements
- Supplement stated reporting requirements with more accessible PowerPoint presentations, photo essays, and other materials that help bring Luminos programs to life
- Expertly steward existing donor relationships, listening closely for unspoken needs, and build a strong sense of connection and ownership of the work through strategic sharing of anecdotes and lessons learned
- Source and build new funding relationships: map major funders in key program geographies and lead relationship building and outreach
- Manage drafting of complex program proposals and budgeting in conjunction with the Luminos fundraising and finance teams
Organizational strategy and growth
• Expand the program delivery models beyond Second Chance
• Alongside Luminos leadership, create a strategy to reach 200,000 children in the next 5 years
• Provide key inputs for the Luminos five-year strategic growth plan
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s degree in a quantitative field is preferred
- 10+ years of relevant work experience with increasing levels of management responsibility across the business or nonprofit sectors, especially in the Global South
- At least 8 years of experience managing and developing people and teams, with a tangible track record of exceptional service delivery
- Experience in a startup environment and building something from nothing are strongly desired
Skills and Attributes
- Belief in and demonstrated passion for the mission, vision, and values of the Luminos Fund
- Impeccable integrity and can-do attitude
- Natural curiosity and hunger for continuous learning
- Belief that success lies in the details
- Innate sense of responsibility for delivery of quality work, even in adverse circumstance
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work independently in challenging international contexts
- Experience working with diverse constituents, teams, and colleagues
- Natural affinity for technology and a love of data
- Readiness to problem solve creatively on a myriad of fronts and go above and beyond to deliver outsized success
- Advanced skills in the suite of Microsoft Office Tools, especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Fluency in written and spoken English
To apply for this role, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief cover letter and your CV. Candidates should have legal authorization to work in the US.
The Luminos Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.