Details: We are dedicated to you and your family's well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.
About KIPP Bay Area Public Schools
KIPP is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools across the country educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice-filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, and for us all.
There are currently 15 KIPP schools across the Bay Area educating nearly 6,000 students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City and supporting over 3,000 alumni around the country.
The Associate Director of Real Estate will join the team at KIPP Bay Area Public Schools during an exciting phase of growth to support the entire range of real estate and facilities needs of the organization and ensure that all KIPP schools have safe, quality learning facilities. This individual will work closely with our development partners to oversee construction of multiple projects, manage project budgets, provide support in negotiating development deals and leases, plan for the facility needs of new schools, and cultivate relationships with external vendor partners on behalf of the organization. In addition, this role will work closely with school leaders and school operations managers to provide exceptional service as related to addressing schools’ facilities-related issues.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a strong orientation and desire to create new and improve existing internal processes and systems to ensure the department scales effectively and efficiently as the organization grows. This candidate ideally also has expertise in real estate development, as well as effective relationship building, strategic communications, vendor management, and project management skills, along with strong financial and political acumen and the ability navigate ambiguity effectively. S/he should have a history of managing diverse groups of internal and external stakeholders through both direct supervision and influence to tackle a series of diverse, high-priority challenges faced by the organization.
The role is based out of our Regional Office in downtown Oakland (BART accessible), with frequent travel to our local schools and communities throughout the Bay Area – including San Jose, the Peninsula, San Francisco and the East Bay. This position is available immediately and will report to the Director of Real Estate.
Roles and Responsibilities
Partner closely with the Director of Real Estate to build a portfolio of stable facilities for our schools
- Manage contracts, agreements, and leases with relevant parties (e.g., school districts, vendors/contractors, and private property owners); work closely with attorneys to ensure high-quality contracts that reflect alignment and enable accountability.
- Support Proposition 39 negotiations with host school districts to secure appropriate facilities for our schools.
- Manage key construction projects by overseeing efforts of Development Partner to ensure adherence to project budget and schedule; manage all diligence, pre-development, major renovations and construction, and closeout activities for new construction and major renovations.
- Work with architects on design development, seeking input from relevant internal stakeholders and decision-makers.
- Build strong external relationships and partnerships to enable effective real estate strategy (e.g., school district staff and board members, city councils, chambers of commerce, nonprofit organizations, community partners, and private property owners); attend and represent KIPP in relevant school board, city council, and planning commission meetings.
- Ensure proactive community engagement and support of project through CEQA and public processes.
Develop new processes and systems to support the real estate team, our schools, and our region, especially as we prepare for further growth
- Lead special projects or initiatives that contribute to our overall growth and health as an organization
- Prepare strategic communications, memos, and presentations to align key stakeholders both internal and external to the organization.
- Work closely with other colleagues and departments (especially Regional Operations, Finance, and Advocacy and Community Engagement) to support our schools effectively.
- Travel routinely to KIPP school sites and potential future locations.
Qualifications and Desired Characteristics
- Functional real estate expertise. Track record of successful results in real estate and facilities project management.
- Results orientation and the ability to get things done well, with evidence of a successful track record in meeting or exceeding stated goals.
- Exceptional project management skills. Ability to self-direct, prioritize and multi-task among competing goals, while exhibiting flexibility in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent strategic communication skills, including written and verbal communication, public speaking skills, and keen attention to detail and nuance.
- Adept at building strong, trust-based relationships with diverse constituents and deeply understanding the needs of different stakeholders (including public officials, construction managers, architects, attorneys, school leaders, and partner organizations); ability to exercise personal impact and influence.
- Track record of successful negotiations and influencing for impact.
- Strong political acumen and interest in the political process, coupled with an ability to unlock creative solutions in challenging and complex situations.
- Ability to plan and think strategically, coupled with excellent execution skills and flexibility to work within a complex or ambiguous context; inclination to initiate process improvements and continuous learning within the organization.
- Skilled at analyzing, interpreting, and using data to collaborate, identify best practices and areas for improvement, and drive results.
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP Bay Area Public Schools’ mission and values.
- Sensitivity and predisposition to the needs, beliefs, and experiences of the communities in which we serve. Ability to listen well and express sensitivity through communications and actions with others.
- Knowledge of public education reform landscape strongly desired.
Minimum Education Required