601 South Figueroa Street
ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools is the largest nonprofit charter school organization in Los Angeles, serving nearly 13,000 low-income scholars across 25 free public middle and high schools on 28 campuses. In our 14th school year, Alliance has a proven record of success: though our scholars come to Alliance on average four grade-levels behind in reading, 95% of Alliance graduates have been accepted to college—including 77% to a four-year university in 2017. We strive to truly change the life trajectories of our scholars and communities, with a goal of 75% of Alliance graduates completing a four-year college degree. We also value our people, illustrated by being in the top 10% of Gallup’s global Best Place to Work survey.
Join us at Alliance and you can expect to be part of an innovative organization made up of talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want strong collaborators, skilled communicators, and avid problem solvers who are comfortable in a culture of continuous learning and who are excited to implement fresh ideas and unique solutions in service of our scholars and families. Now is the time to join us and make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
Reporting to the Payroll Administrator, the Payroll Specialist performs key payroll functions for Alliance’s schools and the home office. The Payroll Specialist is responsible for assisting in the preparation and running of payroll, filing STRS and PERS monthly reports, and reconciling all payroll-related accounts such as health insurance deductions, STRS/PERS contributions, garnishments, and Flexible Spending Account contributions. He/She will also play a significant role in providing top-notch customer service to Alliance school site and home office staff.
Payroll Execution and Processing
- Assist in the preparation and processing of school and home office payrolls.
- Enter accurate payroll information into the payroll system and ensure the accuracy of the payroll data being entered prior to submitting payroll for processing.
- Check and verify that payroll deduction amounts for each pay period are accurately deducted from employees’ paychecks for each pay period.
Payroll Reporting and Record Keeping
- Prepare monthly STRS and PERS reports by the specified due date.
- Establish and maintain all payroll records including payroll journal entries, employee timesheets and vacation approvals, and quarterly and annual payroll tax returns and W-2’s.
- Archive and safeguard all payroll-related files by fiscal year.
- On a monthly basis, maintain and reconcile all employee vacation and sick day accrual reports.
Provide Best-in-Class Customer Service
- Respond to employee inquiries with professionalism and timeliness.
- Support school site staff in completing monthly payroll reports.
- Provide training to school and home office staff on relevant payroll topics.
- Process manual payroll check requests accurately and efficiently.
THE STRONGEST CANDIDATES WILL HAVE/BE:
- Commitment to Alliance’s core beliefs and educational philosophy
- Basic understanding of accrual accounting principles and procedures
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to handle multiple priorities at once
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships
- Entrepreneurial spirit to thrive in a fast-paced and achievement-oriented environment
- Willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team committed to a new future for urban education
- High school diploma required
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, business administration, or a related field strongly preferred
- 2-3 years of related experience
- Experience with ADP and intermediate/advanced skills in Microsoft Excel
- Experience with Abila MIP, CalSTRS & CalPERS, and accounting journal entries preferred
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Alliance offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, as well as an employer-sponsored 403b plan annual contribution equal to 5% of regular earnings, and comprehensive health benefits packages, including dental and vision. Alliance covers 100% monthly premiums for individual employees or up to $900/month toward family plan premiums.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter at www.laalliance.org/careers. Please note that only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools are free public charter schools which do not discriminate against any student, parent, community member, or employee on the basis of actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.