10 City Hall Square
The Appalachian Mountain Club, America’s oldest conservation and recreation organization, is now searching for a Controller!
For over 140 years the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) has promoted conservation throughout the Northeast and mid-Atlantic regions while helping people get outside. Here are just a few of the ways we’re doing our part!
We protect the mountains, forests, waters and trails of the Northeast through hands-on stewardship, scientific research and public policy advocacy. AMC and our dedicated staff and volunteers care for more than 1,800 miles of trails throughout the Northeast.
AMC is committed to reducing the barriers to active outdoor participation by youth. Through custom experiences and dedicated programs for youth groups, schools, families and teens, AMC is committed to getting 125,000 kids outdoors each year by 2020.
From Maine to New Jersey, the AMC runs overnight lodges, campsites and shelters that welcome all outdoor enthusiasts, providing hot meals, expert advice and promoting leave no trace principles to visitors who lay their head in the wilderness for the night.
The Position: AMC seeks an exceptional individual to serve as Controller and to provide financial oversight and management of the broad range of activities supporting its nonprofit mission. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller directs the accounting operations of the AMC, leading efforts to improve accounting policies, processes, reporting and controls. With three direct reports and a total staff of eight in Boston, MA as well as Pinkham Notch, NH, the Controller is responsible for overseeing $30 million in operating activities and a significant amount of assets, capital and non-operating activities. AMC is committed to a collaborative approach and success in this position means working across functional areas to implement best practices and tools that enhance organizational efficiency and maximize use of our resources. The Controller will have regular board and management level interaction and responsibility for delivering accurate and easy to understand reports on financial activities and condition.
This is a high visibility position offering opportunity for significant impact on a dynamic organization. A passion for the mission of the AMC is essential. This full time, exempt position offering a competitive salary and excellent benefits is based in Boston, MA.
- General, operational and managerial accounting
- Audits of financial statements and retirement plan
- Internal and external financial reporting
- Cash management
- Accounting and control policies and procedures
- Financial systems implementation and management
- Regulatory reporting and compliance
- Staff supervision
- Support of major financial transactions and projects
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive experience in accounting
- Strong leadership, supervisory and communication skills
- Commitment to collaboration, service, development and team building
- Experience managing an accounting organization in a complex environment and working with financially diverse business activities and systems
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and financial information systems
- Demonstrated results orientation and creative problem solving ability
- Familiarity with not-for-profit accounting helpful, but not essential
Employee Perks: In addition to a competitive salary, AMC offers an exceptional benefits package.
- Generous paid time off benefits
- Health insurance with a hefty employer contribution
- A retirement plan with an employer match
- Access to various pro deals that help you purchase gear at deeply reduced rates
- Free admission to cultural and environmental venues throughout New England
- And more!
To Apply: Now accepting applications! Please include your resume and a cover letter with your salary requirements when applying. No phone calls please.
The AMC has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!
Minimum Education Required