189 Allen Street
Overview: University Settlement is one of New York City's most dynamic social justice institutions, with an impressive legacy as the first settlement house in the nation. For 130 years, University Settlement has been an anchor in the low-income and immigrant communities where we work, offering pioneering programs in early childhood care and education, youth development, eviction prevention, literacy, theater and visual arts, senior services, and mental health. Each year, we engage over 40,000 New Yorkers through our network of 31 sites in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Our mission is to empower the individuals we serve through comprehensive, quality services that strengthen families and meet the current needs of the community.
The Assistant Director will be located at our newest location (the Max Meltzer Senior Center) to provide daily planning, support, and monitoring of all programming at the new location and to support the Program Director and overall integration of older adult services across sites. The ideal candidate will be high-energy and engaging, work independently and be able to roll up their sleeves to provide the day-to-day services of the operation when needed.
- Program planning, implementation, and monitoring to ensure high-quality services aimed at keeping older adults, healthy, happy, connected, and full participants in their community
- Monitoring of staff performance levels with respect to contract mandates, workloads, and program quality
- Conduct participant outreach and intakes
- Case assistance for participants including: benefit and entitlement applications, referrals, advocacy, and crisis intervention
- Timely reporting to all funders and partners
- Data entry to monitor older adult’s participation and program outcomes
- Open and close the facility. Ensure the center is clean, welcoming, and well maintained. Schedule and report any facilities issues to the appropriate parties
- Network and develop relationships with outside partners, program collaborators and the Tenant Association
- Keep extermination, AED, Fire Drill, and other logbooks up to date
- Support integration of all older adult services settlement wide and within the Neighborhood Center and Satellite sites through participation in LEARN, Social Service, and coalition meetings.
- Assume day-to-day responsibility for program operations in the absence of the Program Director
- Fill in for Program Associate as needed; assist with serving meals
- Supervise volunteers and interns
- Other duties as assigned by Director
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or related field required
- 2 - 4 years experience working with adults or older adults within program development; should have passion for working with the adult population
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish OR Cantonese OR Mandarin REQUIRED (spoken and written)
- Excellent computer and organizational skills (MS Office Suite)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Creative, innovative, and flexible. A sense of humor a plus.
- Should have/get NYC DOH Food Handlers Card and AED/CPR training
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual English and Spanish, Cantonese, or Mandarin. (MUST BE FLUENT IN ONE)
Minimum Education Required