About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health (LMH) saves lives in the world's most remote communities by partnering with governments to bring critical primary care services to the doorsteps of people living in the last mile. Last Mile Health is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization with offices in Liberia, Boston and New York. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
General Position Summary
The Deputy Director of Partnerships & Development will be responsible for the cultivation, stewardship and management of LMH’s relationships with private sector funders in a fashion that meaningfully engages partners and cultivates a values aligned donor community. This individual will expand new funding opportunities and extend existing ones to finance the organization’s short-term and long-term expansion. This position will be responsible for fund development targets upward of $US 15 million annually.
The Deputy Director will have a proven track record of engaging diverse stakeholders and high-net worth partners and will have previously managed business development staff to cultivate durable donor relationships. The Deputy Director will exhibit a high level of professionalism and organization, exceptional communications skills and ability to organize and sustain relationship management systems. This individual is an organizational leader and will serve as a thought partner to the Director of Partnerships & Development and the Chief Executive Officer. The Deputy Director will take on management of key relationships quickly and know how to most effectively leverage the strategic support of the Director of Partnerships & Development and Chief Executive Officer to meet the organization’s development priorities.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide strategic and operational management of Last Mile Health’s philanthropic portfolio of partners. This includes supervision of two portfolio managers.
- Cultivate and steward lasting relationships with current and prospective corporate partners, serving as the Primary Relationship Manager with select partners
- Oversee LMH’s participation in annual events and conference with partners (Skoll World Forum, TED, World Economic Forum, World Health Assembly, United Nations General Assembly Week, etc.)
- Ensure systems for gift acknowledgement are being accurately and efficiently implemented.
- Oversee and strengthen systems for relationship management and donor communications, including implementation and organization-wide utilization of a relationship management database (Salesforce)
New Business Development & Strategy
- Support the Director of Partnerships & Development to hone departmental goals and strategies to growing current and new funding streams by 20% over the next four years
- Oversee all donor prospecting, generating a pipeline of at least 50 highly-aligned prospective partners over the next 12-18 months
- Develop strategy and support stewardship of new unilateral and multilateral partners
- Hone strategy for corporate partnership engagement, specifically related to the Community Health Academy
- Plan and execute donor meetings to promote long-term engagement
- Assist in the development of tailored content for partners, including but not limited to pitch decks, concept notes, proposals, etc.
Departmental Management and Administration
- Ensure accurate and on-time monthly revenue reporting and reconciliation
- Support the Director of Partnerships & Development to report to the Board of Directors, Development Committee, Internal Quarterly Staff Updates, Advisory Council
- Manage the Partnerships &Development budget and support with monthly review of expenditure
- Oversee all knowledge management systems for the department
- Manage one administrative support staff
- Bachelor’s degree required; relevant graduate degree preferred
- 5-7 years of professional experience
- Experience working in fundraising
- Experience in the health sector strongly preferred
- Commitment to health equity and social justice
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and relationship-building qualities
- Proven experience with frontline fundraising and direct donor engagement
- Ability to work independently with limited oversight
- Proven negotiation, communication, and organization skills
- Experience using CRM tools (preferably Salesforce)
- Generosity of spirit, sensitivity, and diplomacy
- Willingness to make sacrifices in service of the mission
Minimum Education Required