Since 1984, Share Our Strength® has led the fight against hunger and poverty by inspiring and organizing individuals and businesses to share their strengths. Today, through the No Kid Hungry and Cooking Matters campaigns, Share Our Strength is ending childhood hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need. No child should go hungry in America – we’re on our way to making that a reality and we want you to join us. We’re bold, creative, always open to new ideas, and 100% dedicated to our mission. If that sounds like you, we’d like you to consider becoming part of our team.
The Associate Director of IT is a customer service-focused, creative leader, responsible for the reliable operation of all major systems throughout a matrixed nonprofit organization. The Associate Director collaborates with internal stakeholders across three distinct entities that comprise Share Our Strength’s portfolio of work (Share Our Strength - the parent non-profit, the New York City Wine and Food Festival, and Community Wealth Partners), each with its own network and application architecture. Ultimately supporting approximately 300 staff, this role demands a strong technical expert with outstanding customer service, communications, and collaborative skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Associate Director is the senior technical expert in the organization, and reports directly to the Chief Information Officer. The Associate Director has four major technical areas of responsibility: Service Desk / Desktop Operations, Cyber Security, Cloud-Based and Hybrid Network Architecture, and Software Integration.
Service Desk / Desktop Operations:
- Supervise two Tier 2 Service Desk technicians, and serves as the organization’s Tier 3 and Tier 4 support technician.
- Implement changes in Windows using PowerShell and the command line interface and implement command line changes in Linux using Bash or a similar language.
- Approve hardware and software configurations for deployment. Knowledge of SCCM and SCOM is a plus.
- Understand the NIST Cyber Security Framework and how it applies to the enterprise’s security posture.
- Supervise, regularly train, and update the enterprise’s incident handling procedures.
- Diagnose emerging cyber security incidents that falls outside of incident handling procedures and recommends immediate and long term remediations.
- Understands and deploys hybrid and cloud-based network solutions.
- Design and implement Infrastructure-As-A-Service and Software-As-A-Service solutions.
- Maintain the enterprise’s on-premises network infrastructure to include software patches and component upgrades.
- Partner with two Business Analysts in utilizing Human-Centric Design concepts to address business requirements.
- Utilize Agile Methodology to deploy new capabilities in increments and engage in continuous learning.
- Has comfort with programming languages (e.g. Java, Ruby, PHP, and Python) to integrate applications via simple direct code or through APIs.
- Manage external consultants for more complex software integration projects.
- Partner with the IT Team’s Data Engineer to ensure information flows are mapped and managed between applications.
- Design and administer User Acceptance Testing protocols to ensure implemented solutions meet users’ needs.
The Associate Director is an expert communicator, bridging deltas between end users and the IT team, ensuring understanding and adoption gaps are addressed.
Communicating with Users:
- Demonstrate empathy and urgency in responding to users’ issues.
- Demonstrate strong 1-on-1 written and verbal communication skills, especially in describing technical issues in lay terms and teaching new technologies and describing system outages and emergencies.
Communicating with Vendors:
- Effectively communicate issues with purchased products, and describes new desired capabilities.
The Associate Director leads by listening, and has a leadership style that combines the best of technical competencies and customer service.
- Has regular interaction with all staff members by augmenting the Service Desk team during periods of high-ticket volume and special events.
- Intercede on behalf of the Service Desk team to manage user challenges as needed.
- Monitor and share trends or recurrences that may indicate larger system-wide issues.
- Collaborate with other enterprise teams to better understand their business needs for new capabilities.
- Research new solutions and technology capabilities through direct contact with vendors.
- Oversee vendor support teams when troubleshooting applications.
- Oversee 3rd party solution providers when coordinating the implementation of a new technology into the enterprise’s network or application architecture.
- Technical BA/BS required, MA/MS preferred.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience supporting teams across locations.
- At least 2 relevant advanced- or expert-level industry credentials.
- Successful track record managing multiple complex projects simultaneously and demonstrated ability to initiate, organize, and prioritize.
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship-building skills, including the ability to identify and work through challenges, underscored by strong judgment and emotional intelligence.
- Excellent communications skills in presenting, speaking, and writing required.
- Highly organized with the ability to handle multiple projects and priorities while coordinating work flow in a deadline-driven and service-focused environment.
- Must be proactive and a self-starter with excellent problem-solving and implementation skills.
- Successful track record of achieving results through persuasion and collaboration.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently and proactively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Demonstrated interest in anti-hunger and anti-poverty issues.
At Share Our Strength, we value an individual’s diversity of backgrounds, experiences, ideas and perspectives. A hallmark of our history, culture and values has been the organization’s desire to bring together motivated, intelligent, and talented people to work together to find and implement solutions to eliminate childhood hunger. We each come to Share Our Strength with a unique background, but together we form a team that yields amazing results.
This shared value of encouraging and embracing diversity in our organization fosters a workplace and culture that is highlighted for its innovation, open expression of ideas, and collaboration. With a strong shared commitment to the organization’s mission, and a unique blend of individual strengths, we are all working toward ensuring that each child in America has food where they Live, Learn, and Play.
Upload your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted: no calls please.