Start Date: July 2018
Team: Team Partnerships
About Achievement First:
Achievement First, a non-profit 501(c)3 charter school management organization, operates over 30 public charter schools in Brooklyn, Connecticut and Rhode Island. The mission of Achievement First is to deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all children, regardless of race or economic status. Achievement First currently educates more than 12,600 students in historically underserved neighborhoods, with over 90% of our students identifying as Black and Latino. With its college-preparatory focus, the Achievement First approach is attaining breakthrough academic gains throughout the network. Beyond our students and schools, Achievement First is an engaged and prominent partner in the larger conversation about how to improve public education and student achievement in our country.
Achievement First’s approach to teaching and learning enables every student to succeed at the highest levels. This involves:
- Recruiting and developing successful teachers and school leaders and empowering them to use student data to strategically drive instruction;
- Creating a joyful school culture where it is “cool to be smart” that emphasizes character education and focuses students on college;
- Providing students with more time on task and intense intervention when they are struggling so that no child falls through the cracks.
For more information about Achievement First’s mission, approach, schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
In our most recent strategic plan, Achievement First reaffirmed our desire to have a positive impact on students beyond those served directly by AF schools. Toward that end, the Partnership’s Team was launched in 2013, with the mission to help Achievement First deliver on the promise of equal education for ALL of America's children. We provide strategic support to educators beyond AF and partner with them to achieve stronger outcomes for students. We also work to foster an open source and collective learning environment within the broader education community to ensure quality resources, proven practices, lessons learned and promising ideas are available to all.
Achievement First’s Partnership Team seeks an Associate Director for Data Strategy and Analysis. This role will play a critical role in helping Team Partnerships achieve its overall strategic goals and increase its impact by designing the infrastructure for data analysis with an eye toward strategic analysis of that data and scalability of these systems. The role will include design and analysis for multiple programs within Team Partnerships, including the Charter Network Accelerator and Navigator, redesign and support for Achievement First’s internal knowledge management system and processes, and ownership of Achievement First’s Open Source Website, which is currently being re-envisioned. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker, collaborative project manager with excellent data analysis skills, and someone who will thrive on an entrepreneurial and growing team.
Data Strategy and Analysis for Team Partnership
- Build Data Strategy and Systems for the Partnership Team
- Engage stakeholders across Navigator, Accelerator and AF’s core data team to create clear reports and dashboards that analyze performance across schools and networks, with an eye towards building for scale
- Create templates and trackers that external schools and networks can use to input information and track progress over time
- Analyze data to identify bright spots, concerns, and trends that can inform program management and design
- Report on progress toward goals to inform team management and to be used for reporting to funders
- Manage Student Achievement Data Collection and Reporting Across Programs
- Coordinate with data leads at Accelerator networks, Navigator schools and at the Charter School Growth Fund to gather and analyze mid-year interim assessment and end of year data
System Owner for Achievement First’s Open Source Website (a repository of AF's playbooks for running a network, instructional practices, and curriculum, which is currently being re-envisioned)
- Support core AF teams (eg. teaching and learning, operations, special services) in designing playbooks that codify their tools and approach so that they are accessible to outside users
- Support Partnership team in designing self-directed learning modules for participants
- Support website Project Director on website development and redesign (ex: act as liaison to website developers, attend project meetings, take notes and next steps, coordinate meetings between various team members)
- Ensure site is running optimally and problem solve with web developers as needed
- Upload content, and create process to ensure content is kept current
- Respond to user support requests, manage users and accounts, and optimize search function, to ensure users always find what they are looking for
Skills and Characteristics
- Excellent personal organization, project management, and time management skills, including ability to manage time across multiple projects and priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, and SQL required
- Ability to distill complex data and other information into easy to understand analysis with actionable next steps
- Website design and management experience a plus
- Video editing expertise
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university
- At least 2 years relevant work experience (experience as a business analyst or management consultant is ideal preparation for this role)
Position will require occasional travel.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Please visit the Achievement First careers site at http://www.achievementfirst.org/careers/. Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.
Minimum Education Required