National Campaign Associate
Details: salary commensurate with experience
District of Columbia
WE ACT for Environmental Justice is seeking to deepen an existing network of environmental
justice organizations with other public health and social justice allies to strengthen and amplify
the Environmental Justice Movement’s resistance at the state, and national levels to the Trump
administration’s growing authoritarianism and its efforts to remove all policies that protect
people of color, and other vulnerable communities from environmental degradation and public
health harm. Our two-year strategy to fight and win in the Trump era includes three tactics:
rapid-response campaigns to stand with communities under attack, issue advocacy to win state-
level progressive victories, and winning power in the 2020 elections to position our agenda for
2020 and beyond.
WE ACT for Environmental Justice is seeking a National Campaign Associate, who will report to the National Campaign Director.
Location: This position will be based out of WE ACT for Environmental Justice’s Washington, D.C. office, but the successful candidate will have to be prepared to undergo an orientation at WE ACT for Environmental Justice’s Harlem office in New York City for two to three weeks.
Manage the day-to-day relationships and ensures progress on campaign with members of the Environmental Justice Leadership Forum on Climate Change
Conduct capacity building workshops for the members of the EJ Forum
Leads development of materials to support campaigns executed by the Forum partners with support from the communications staff at WE ACT for Environmental Justice
Manages logistics for the Forum’s in-person meetings and supports the effective functioning of the Forum by maintaining databases and other administrative infrastructure
Assist the National Campaign Director in the execution of campaign strategy and tactics.
Provide regular updates to the members of the Forum and other key allies and interested parties
Recruits and manages interns to support the work of the Forum and WE ACT’s DC office
Assist with the writing of reports to funding partners
Some travel expected (< 15%)
You could be great for this job if you have:
• A minimum of two years' experience in national campaigning or related fields.
• Experience developing campaign strategy and content for issue-based, advocacy, or political campaigns; familiarity with a range of online campaigning tools and tactics.
• Excellent writing skills with experience in creative, compelling prose that can move people to act; with good attention to detail.
• Knowledge of trends in the political sphere, and of best practices for communicating via email, Facebook and Twitter.
Proficiency using digital systems to manage content and relationships, with a preference for experience with NationBuilder.
• Demonstrated connections to leaders in the national social justice and environmental justice movements.
• Knowledge of national social justice or environmental justice campaigns.
• Creativity, flexibility and comfort working in a fast-paced environment.
• Commitment to environmental justice, social justice, to the values and goals of WE ACT for Environmental Justice, and to working at a values-based organization with a high emphasis on mutual respect and intentional workplace culture.
Although not required, a strong candidate may have some of the following:
• Project management experience and the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
• Familiarity with NationBuilder.
• Experience managing social media content for organizations and storytelling on social media platforms.
• Experience with distributed organizing tools.
• Experience managing networks, coalitions, and organizations with limited capacity.
• A record of building effective partnerships or coalitions with advocacy and/or activist groups.
• An understanding of the policy and political landscape around environmental justice and social justice.
• Active involvement in social movements that work to support environmental justice, racial justice, economic justice and/or protecting our democracy.
Option for fully Paid benefits, medical, dental, vision with life insurance policy provided by ADP. Pretax MetroCard available, also supplementary insurance available.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish speaking, reading and writing a plus
Minimum Education Required