Grants and Financial Administrator
Details: Competitive Annual Salary + Benefits
1200 New York Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
Who We Are
"The advancement of science should be the chief concern of a nation that would conserve and increase the welfare of its people."
-James McKeen Cattell, former AAAS President and Editor of Science
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people. For over a century, AAAS has been a force for science, from helping to establish science as a credible field in the 19th century to using satellite imaging technology to document human rights abuses in 2007. We are recognized as the world’s largest general scientific society and the proud publisher of the Science family of journals. Past presidents have included astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, anthropologist Margaret Mead, and biologist Stephen Jay Gould. Our mission is centered on the belief that STEM research and education can help solve many of the challenges the world faces today.
AAAS is a culture steeped in history, but adaptive to change and new ideas. We recognize the hard work of our employees and encourage the development of our staff. Our colleagues represent an array of expertise from scholarly publishing to digital marketing, educational research to government relations, all with a shared focus on mission. At AAAS, you are part of a talented team, dedicated to advancing science and serving society.
Work with Us
We have an exciting full-time opportunity for a Grants and Financial Administrator to join our Science & Technology Policy Fellowships (STPF) Program team in Washington, DC. Reporting to the Senior Project Administrator, this individual will be responsible for managing the portfolio of funding agreements which include grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements from federal and non-federal sources.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage 20% of the portfolio of funding agreements which include grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements from federal and non-federal sources
- Monitor grants and other AAAS funds to track expenditures and produce regular financial reports of grant activities
- Monitor and maintain operating budgets for the Science & Technology Policy Fellowships Program
- Review and approve expenditures within set guidelines
- Oversee and approves travel and other expenditures
- Prepare a variety of key indicators/financial and activity reports on a monthly & YTD basis
- Process invoices, expense reports, project charges, and maintain necessary records
- Coordinate activities with SPA and AAAS finance
- Oversee preparation of fiscal and administrative specifications in proposals
- Act as liaison between SPA and STPF fellows about AFPI activities
- Take initiative in identifying opportunities to enhance effectiveness & efficiency of departmental activities
- Act as back-up to Senior Project Administrator (SPA)
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 3 years of experience in grants management.
- Strong understanding of procedures involved in proposal development and grant administration
- Knowledge of budgeting and financial skills is a plus
- Ability to work independently and apply broad policies and procedures to perform job functions
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required
- Salesforce knowledge and experience preferred
Interested candidates should submit a resume and brief cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by March 27, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next steps.
Visit https://www.aaas.org/ to learn more about what we do.
Find our latest job opportunities at: https://www.aaas.org/page/employment-aaas
AAAS is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
Minimum Education Required