171 West 85th Street
Position Description: DOROT’s Travel Companions serve our senior clients in the most profound way – offering physical and emotional support to help them safely travel to and from medical, chronic care management, therapy and other essential appointments, and ensuring their well-being during waits.
Travel Companions also assist clients with grocery shopping and other errands, and accompany them on walks upon request. Other responsibilities include appointment and case note entry into DOROT’s online client database.
The ideal candidate enjoys interacting with older adults, possesses exceptional and appropriate interpersonal skills, exercises excellent judgment, and is conscientious, punctual and patient.
· High School Degree
· Ability to engage with, listen to, and respond appropriately to older adults
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to assess, recognize, and appreciate the distinct needs of clients, and react appropriately
- Ability to identify client challenges and communicate them to supervisor
· Physical ability to walk distances while providing additional support to a senior (for example: walking arm in arm, or pushing a wheelchair-bound senior)
· Ability and willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions
· Familiarity and comfort utilizing public, taxi, and private transportation in Manhattan
· Must be available to work Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
· Proficiency with using a smart phone to text, update calendar, and access the Internet
· English language proficiency
· Proficiency with Android or iOS platforms
· Proficiency with MS Office 2010 programs
Paid time off, medical and dental insurance, retirement plans
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required