District of Columbia
With 163,000 members SEIU 32BJ is the largest union representing property service workers in the country. Our members have fought for and achieved high standards for private and public sector property service workers, and we continue to fight for higher standards for the thousands of unorganized workers.
SEIU 32BJ is growing quickly by organizing workers who are fighting for a living wage, affordable healthcare, respect, and a voice in their future. We are committed to transforming the lives of janitors, security officers, airport, food service and other service workers.
We are seeking organizers to run aggressive campaigns. As a 32BJ Organizer, your role is to work with a team of staff and members to support workers who are fighting to win power by building a union in their workplace.
Positions are available in the Washington DC – Northern VA area
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to low-wage workers;
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers, educating them about the Union;
- Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead their campaign;
- Conducting individual and group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing campaigns;
- Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action;
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns;
- Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on the industry as a whole.
Previous experience in union or community organizing is desirable. A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required.
- Willingness to work long hours, nights, and weekends;
- Capacity to work independently and with a team;
- The ability to make and follow through on a work plan;
- Effective communications skills;
- Basic writing and computer skills;
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Willingness to conduct house visits and site visits;
- Fluency in English, Spanish and Amharic
- A car and a valid driver’s license are required.
A competitive salary is based on experience. Our full benefits package includes retirement, employer-paid family health and dental insurance, and a weekly travel allowance. This is a salaried position.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email a resume, letter of interest and three references to Human Resources at HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “DC Organizer” in the Subject line of your email.