A national nonprofit headquartered in the Mission District of San Francisco, MyPath supports youth from low-income families to take control of their finances and achieve economic mobility. To this end, MyPath engineers effective models that support youth to save and build credit; shares what works with the field and through training and technical assistance to support the adoption of our approaches in communities; and advances policy change in partnership with young people. Our results and best practices have been published by the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, the Journal of Consumer Affairs and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. To learn more about MyPath, visit us at MyPathUS.org.
Manager of Development Position Overview
The Manager of Development, in collaboration with the Director of Communications, Executive Director and grant writing consultant, will be given increasing responsibility in fund development research and prospecting; managing the fund development calendar; writing reports and proposals; and coordinating proposal and report writing and submissions. The Manager of Development will also track fundraising goals and grants using our Salesforce database. Additionally, the Manager of Development will support the Director of Communications with communication activities as needed, which include: editing website content, updating social media posts, newsletter and others. This role reports directly to the Director of Communications.
MyPath is looking for a kind, passionate and creative individual who is starting a career in fund development and grant writing, and wants to take advantage of a clear professional advancement path.
Specific responsibilities for this position at MyPath include:
Fundraising, Grant Writing, and Fund Development Planning (80%)
- With the Director of Communications and Executive Director’s guidance, manage activities for institutional donor cultivation, solicitation, and relationship management (i.e., research, outreach, and initial letters of inquiry).
- Support prospecting research activities (both national and local, as well as for specific populations), including setting up calls and meetings for Executive Director with potential and current funders. The Manager will also attend certain meetings and calls, and take necessary follow up actions as needed with potential and current funders. Eventually the Manager will be the lead point of contact for specific funders.
- Maintain careful and accurate tracking of all institutional funds sought and received, including multi-year grants. Track deadlines for all proposals and reports to ensure timely submission of complete reporting packages, and inquiries about renewed support.
- Coordinate the assembly of all reports and grant attachments; and submit grant proposals and report packages for all foundations, corporations and government funding sources. The Manager of Development will play a lead role in developing proposal narratives and reports, with support and training initially as needed.
- Participate in the creation and implementation of MyPath fund development strategy, including tactics to solidify and expand funds from existing sources and to diversify and expand funding sources
- Implement and manage new individual donor plan, especially individual donor communications.
- Support year-end Board fundraising activities.
- Liaison with MyPath staff to gather data and information needed for funder reports in a timely fashion.
- Attend and represent MyPath at networking events, speaking engagements, conferences, etc.
- Maintain development systems, including files (both hard copy and electronic), the Salesforce database, gift/payment processing, and acknowledgement letters.
- As needed, support organizational events, especially regarding funder recognition and individual donor cultivation
- Support Director of Communications in elevating MyPath’s reputation and visibility among funders and other audiences
- With the Director of Communication’s guidance, maintain MyPath’s website and social media presence, including weekly updates to Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Assemble and disseminate MyPath’s monthly e-newsletter, including the development and maintenance of segmented lists via Salesforce database.
- Help develop content for MyPath’s website, newsletter and social media, including assembling updates from staff.
- Assist with the development of materials about MyPath and its impact, including written and photo profiles of participants and partner sites.
- 1 -2 years of experience in nonprofit fund development, specifically with development systems, development project management or grant writing.
- Proven success in supporting fund development, donor relations programs, and proposal preparation for various funder audiences.
- Experience supporting social media activities, especially Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as proofreading skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Excellent organizational, time-management, and project management skills, including ability to drive projects to completion independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with Salesforce a plus.
- Experience in financial capability, youth employment programs and youth development a plus.
- Ability to thrive in an environment with diverse perspectives and working styles.
- Driven to meet MyPath’s mission.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to be creative, think critically and effectively manage setbacks.
- Four-year college degree required, master's degree preferred
MyPath is an equal opportunity employer, and we actively work to build a team that reflects the diversity of the communities and young people we serve. People of color, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Benefits include fully paid health, vision, dental insurance, and 401K. Paid time off includes vacation, sick, and personal days, as well as holidays. Professional development funds available to support staff in achieving career objectives.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Review of applications will start July 30 and continue on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Please send the following to jobs@MyPathUS.org indicating your interest in the Manager of Development position in the subject line:
- Resume and detailed cover letter highlighting your interest and relevant experience
- Two writing samples