Details: hourly position up to 20 hours per week
TITLE: Children’s’ Counselor/Advocate
WORK WEEK: 17 HOURS, Flexible Day and Evenings
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Job Summary: In partnership with the child’s parent- provide childcare, counseling, homework assistance, and social recreation activities for children when parent is receiving services from Open Hearth related to employment counseling and other financial education programs to assist them with securing transitional and or permanent housing.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Assure that program participant‘s and children’s confidentiality and their rights are maintained.
• Provide childcare, counseling, homework assistance, and social recreation activities for children when parent is receiving services from Open Hearth related to employment counseling and other financial education programs to assist them with securing transitional and or permanent housing.
• Provide childcare services at DVCCC and other agency locations. Childcare /advocacy tasks includes: listening to children’s experiences; assisting children with needs. Assist children with developing a safety plan and update when necessary. Document in file that safety plan has been developed and when updated.
• Assist parent with pre-arranging child-care to attend appointments such as: with Open Hearth, housing and employment.
• Provide parent/guardian with referrals to other systems and track follow-through.
• Complete all required documentation for DVCCC and OVW reports. Must be detailed oriented.
Skills and Qualifications
• Experience working with children and adults.
• Developed organizational skills with proven history of successfully managing multiple priorities simultaneously.
• Ability to work under pressure and adhere to deadlines.
• Proven ability to develop trusting, supportive relationships with parents and children.
• Strong commitment to the mission and goals of DVCCC, professional work goals and personal development.
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of issues confronted by victims of abuse. Able to work with survivors of abuse and their children. Able to work with a diverse population and assist them with addressing issues.
• Knowledge of early learning.
• Good organizational skills and the ability to write reports.
• Demonstrated ability to establish effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, and internal and external colleagues.
• Works as a productive and cooperative member of a team and willingness to accept supervision and make personal performance improvements.
• Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Products.
• Must have a current drivers’ license to drive agency’s car/van and personal automobile insurance. Must be willing to travel to meetings and trainings (OVW out of State).
• Must be willing to work flexible hours as needed to meet program needs and funder requirements.
• Adhere to all agency policies and procedures (attendance, work hours, paperwork, etc.)
• Childcare, criminal and FBI clearances as required by state and DVCCC.
• Documentation of a physical examination according to state regulations.
• Able to move and lift supplies, furniture, etc up to 40(forty) pounds. This position requires visual and auditory acuity and the physical ability to climb stairs, stand for long periods of time, and walk distances.
The incumbent’s typical place of work is an office environment and thus will not be substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
• The information provided in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of employees assigned to this job. Management has sole discretion to add or modify duties of the job and to designate other functions as essential at any time. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.
Minimum Training and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or equivalent degree.
• Two years related experience.
• Equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum Education Required