75 Broad Street
Blue Engine is a New York City-based education nonprofit founded in 2010 to dramatically improve academic achievement for students in historically oppressed communities. We help schools restructure the classroom with trained teams of teachers who provide personalized, small group instruction for students in Algebra and English/Language Arts classes, creating the classroom conditions that enable students to thrive.
We believe that the current structure of classrooms actively contributes to massive untapped human potential and an epidemic of lost talent in historically oppressed communities across this nation. Blue Engine partners with schools to fundamentally redesign the traditional classroom and employ an innovative team teaching model, dramatically accelerating academic progress so that all students have the choice to pursue college and career opportunities that reflect their unique Talents. This year, Blue Engine is partnering with 9 schools, 100+ extraordinary educators, and 1,800 students; and the results are clear: 7-9 additional months of learning over the course of a single year, doubling the rate of student learning; increased high school and college-going rates; a growing alumni base of diverse, trained new educators.
And yet, beneath all these statistics, the reason people come to work here is to witness, to create for as many young people as possible a more foundational truth: strong human relationships at the heart of classrooms where every single student is seen for who they are, what they need, and what they want to become.
After seven years of operating in New York City, we are mapping out our plan to deepen our impact here and beyond.
Blue Engine is seeking a mathematics coach. As a coach you will work as part of a school support team within our Program Team and directly coach a portfolio of 6 math teams across several partner schools to execute Blue Engine’s Team Teaching model. Your coaching and collaboration is in service of dramatic impact on student outcomes in algebra, using data and feedback to adjust course as necessary, and building strong collaborative teaching teams. You will manage many internal and external relationships (BETAs, teachers, principals) and spend 80%+ of your time in NYC schools coaching BETA-teacher teams. You will have autonomy with your teams to coach them to build the conditions aligned to Blue Engine Core Program Model, while at the same time, working collaboratively with the entire program team to constantly learn, improve, and refine our collective work across all our classrooms. You will be reporting directly to the Vice President of NYC Program Implementation and will play a key role in deepening and broadening our impact in NYC classrooms.
This is a perfect opportunity for someone who loves instructional coaching, believes we must transform traditional classrooms, believes in teams, and is excited to play a critical role in the continual learning and proving out our program model and coaching approach in classrooms everyday.
Primary Responsibilities & Outcomes
- Coach and support 6 teaching teams to have dramatic impact on learning (9+ additional months of learning) & classroom experience for students.
- Provide strong math content and instructional and team coaching through the lens of Blue Engine’s Team Teaching Model that urgently drives towards student outcomes
- Support teams to set strong academic goals for students and support team data collection and review to ensure teams are on track to driving towards end of year goals
- Provide ongoing observations and debriefs to help individuals and teams develop in their practice
- Collect and utilize student & teacher data to identify highest priority areas to inform coaching plans
- Use a variety of coaching techniques based on team needs to help move them forward in their development and to motivate & influence teams to adjust practice. (co-planning, modeling, providing resources & exemplars, observation & feedback)
- Effectively create plans, budget time and manage schedule to be able to execute necessary supports aligned to priorities.
- Partner with school administration to ensure strong alignment with school context; meet with school admin and/or Senior Director of Program Operations quarterly to review classroom data and provide updates and problem-solve as needed
- Develop and implement a support plan that cultivates effective coaching relationships resulting in strong teacher satisfaction & efficacy.
- Learn about individual teachers and build strong relationships grounded in trust that can be leveraged to help teams successfully implement Blue Engine’s Team Teaching model
- Provide strong, frequent feedback to teams about strengths and areas for growth
- Frequently solicit and use feedback from teams to improve coaching practices
- Differentiate support based on team development and context of the partner school
- Effectively communicates with teams to schedule support experiences
- Design & implement a scope and sequence of learning experiences that builds capacity in teams to implement Blue Engine’s team Teaching Model; coach and manage teams to implement this model to fidelity and build team effectiveness.
- Design and implement centralized onboarding & ongoing learning experiences for teaching teams to introduce Blue Engine’s Team Teaching model
- Provide ongoing coaching and support for teams to build and adapt classroom plans to reflect the key drivers of our model (Knowledge & Trust, Rigor & High Expectations, Differentiation & Individualization)
- Support teams to build systems and structures for building Knowledge & Trust with students, collecting / reflecting on data to implement Differentiation & Individualization
- Support teams to build and implement team systems and structures to be an effective team
- Assess teams’ progress using Blue Engine’s Performance Management Plan and provide feedback and support to ensure successful model implementation. Motivate and influence teams to adjust practice.
- Support team formation and help team successfully move through the stages of team development and navigate conflict
- Plan and facilitate quarterly team stepbacks on progress towards model implementation and student outcomes & experience
- Collaborate with members of the NYC Program Implementation team
- Collaborate effectively with NYC Program Implementation team members to evaluate and refine our individual and collective implementation of the model in schools and how we work as a team.
- Build context of the history and evolution of Blue Engine’s program evolution and a deep understanding of the current context and rationale for Blue Engine’s Core Program Model and organizational values
- Evaluate and refine BETA-teacher team support plans and learning experiences in partnership with the Program Implementation Team (PIT)
- Provide updates and review data in collaboration with PIT members to identify opportunities & challenges and make coaching/support decisions to have the greatest impact on BETA-teacher teams
- Consistently collaborate with the Blue Engine coaching team and at times members of Organizational Learning and Design team to evaluate and develop coaching skills to meet the needs of our BETA-teacher teams
- Consistently champion Blue Engine’s mission & demonstrate strong alignment with our organizational culture and values.
- Be a champion of BE’s mission and operate with “students first” mentality
- Proactively give constructive feedback to help Blue Engine continuously improve
- Practice and models Blue Engine’s Core Values
This role will require time to be split between our office and our partner schools. Approximately 80% of the Coach’s time will be spent in our partner schools and 20% will be spent in our office; time allocations will vary by week.
Who We Need
Our belief in teams extends beyond the classrooms; we fundamentally believe that we are better together than we are as individuals. Our team supports one another to reflect, improve, and push our individual and collective practice to new levels. We are looking for someone who will bring their ideas, experience and perspective and - as important - someone who has a natural sense of curiosity, has a desire to learn and thrives in cultures that foster open and honest feedback. We are looking for a dedicated, self-aware, smart person who genuinely wants to work with a team of similarly smart, dedicated and self-aware people!
Blue Engine needs a Senior Manager of Instruction who is driven; demonstrates exemplary professional behavior and values; and is resourceful, responsible, tenacious, independent, and honest. We are looking for a person with exceptional interpersonal skills which will allow them to build relationships and effectively communicate with external stakeholders and staff. Above all, we are looking for someone who is committed to maintaining a fiscally sound and financially sustainable organization.
Specifically, we are searching for an individual who possesses the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree Preferred
- 5+ years of teaching experience with demonstrated impact on student outcomes; minimum 2 + years of teaching experience in middle school or high school mathematics
- 2+ years of coaching teams to have strong measurable impact on student outcomes; (3+ years highly preferred); experience coaching teams to utilize data and differentiate for individuals and groups of students; mathematics coaching experience highly preferred
- 2+ years of adult learning design experience
- Believes in and is passionate about Blue Engine’s mission and committed to coaching co-teachers to achieve dramatic gains in student achievement
- Strong organizer and planner who has demonstrated being able to juggle competing priorities and effectively scheduling their time to meet all responsibilities
- Demonstrates ability to quickly and proficiently understand and absorb new information.
- Can operate in gray space---proactively assesses challenges, identifies flexible, effective solutions in ambiguous and complex situations
- Strong evidence of being able to build strong relationships with teachers they coach and coach teachers to improve performance
- Able to adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and do what’s most crucial for supporting teams to reach student outcomes
- Able to develop a strong plan and aligned learning experiences that anticipates needs and challenges of teachers and results in improvements in classroom practice.
- Effective communicator that is able to speak and write concisely.
- Proactively seeks diverse perspectives to inform decision making and planning
- Clearly articulates the value of diversity, inclusivity and anti-racism. Awareness of cultural values, biases and difference in self and others and able to lead diverse, inclusive teams
- Has a track record of working hard; follows through on every task, no matter how big or small.
- Driven by individual and team goals and makes a consistent conscious effort to achieve these outcomes. Focuses on own personal development and does not let obstacles stand in the way.
- Seeks to uncover what motivates people and is successfully able to influence others
- Demonstrated ability to earn trust in colleagues
- Values and solicits feedback to improve performance; able to incorporate critical feedback into practice.
- Loves working on teams and demonstrated track record of strong teamwork and collaboration to achieve goals
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Blue Engine employees are provided comprehensive benefits, including six weeks paid time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter using this link. The review of applications will begin immediately and continue on a rolling basis.